When is a good time to get a dog?

I vote summer.The kids are out of school. I am off work 3 days out of the week and daughter is home till 11:30 am. And when i am working, off at 2:30pm. And Hubby is home on weekends while I'm at work. So someone is home except for that window of 3 hours after daughter leaves. I did'nt want to get a puppy, (so much work) I was thinking 1 year old.

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 8:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Pets

• I agree with summer for you. It seems that your schedules will allow for a lot of attention as the dog adjusts to the family. I know several families who have crates for their dogs when no one is home. It is not a punishment but more like their private space/house. You might look into that. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:05 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I agree with you in your situation. For us, anytime is good because I am a stay at home mom and the longest the puppy/dog would have to be alone (in a crate) is 2-3 hours.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I agree with summer ---there are more people at home usually---and don't know where you live but here it's so much easier to house-break a puppy when you don't have a foot of snow on the ground.
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:51 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I agree. What kind of dog r u thinking about getting?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:40 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Depends on the families personal schedule. But for me, I'm a SAHM so I can spend the day training the dog, and exersise it when baby naps his two times a day. We are actually getting one weekend after this one. I'm so excited! The dog won't know what to do with all the kids this summer though. haha.
    2chinesetigers

Answer by 2chinesetigers at 12:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have always wanted a Lab or Lhasa Apso, but can;t decide between Dachshund, Jack Russell Terrier, or Silky Terrier.
    4theloveofTink

Comment by 4theloveofTink (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I agree with summer and the crate is not a bad idea
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 1:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It depends on your home situation. Summer is great because the kids are home & will share the responsibilty. The dog will get accustomed to your home & environment.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 11, 2011