Does this seem a little weird?

On April 2, DH's birthday, we're having a family birthday bash to celebrate 6 family members birthdays (1 in Feb, 4 in March, 1 in April). Originally it was just to celebrate DH and DS' birthdays since they are a few days apart. Then my MIL says that we should celebrate mine too (it was last week) and so to be nice I said we should celebrate hers too (it's next week) and why not celebrate my SIL's since hers is the day before DS. And what the hell, BIL #1 since he just had his in February. I mean that'd be cool (now I don't know if BIL #1 or SIL will actually be able to make it--he works in the oil field, so he may have to work that weekend).

Then yesterday MIL decides, oh let's celebrate BIL #2's birthday too! Ok, well his birthday is in June. So why throw him into the mix? I mean my FIL, my oldest nephew and grand-nephew's birthday are in June too. Let's throw my other nephew in since his birthday is in August. Why don't we just celebrate theirs too? C'mon. I mean is it just me or does that seem a little ridiculous? I realize that BIL #2 lives out of state and we don't get to see him as often, but I don't think that's any reason to do this. Am I wrong? I told DH that I think she's just doing it because he's her favorite. Anyway, I replied to her email and lightheartedly said that it seemed a little strange to celebrate it now since it's so far away. Don't know how she'll take it, but I wanted to at least get my opinion out there.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 8:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• bdays are meant to be special..(especially for kids)..i could understand if a couple of you had a bday within a week of each other but adding all these other..that seems silly. i would tell her it seems a little overwhelming. i'm sure all the other family will think its stupid.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Sounds like a party and a family reunion.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Sounds like a family that enjoys cake. lol
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• umm..no. sounds like she just wants to kill all the birds with one stone
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Sounds like a blast. The more the merrier. And that way, later on down the road those people won't feel like - yes, it's time for another big bash because it's MY birthday! It's better to include, and what's the harm really?
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• if it were my bday (in june) and you guys were wanting to celebrate in april..i would feel like you were just wanting to get me out of the way so you didnt have to consider my bday when it did role around. ..how would you feel if your kids bday didnt get celebrated until june on one of their bdays?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• you are right...MIL is wrong =) Does she live far away from everyone or something?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Yes, a little over the top. We used to do Feb birthdays at my house. That is it. MIL sounds bossy. I feel for you been there done that and it will get easier as the kids get older. Thank goodness for that....
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Feb is 2 months before April & June is 2 months after April. How is June farther away from April than Feb.?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I could understand this but I mean, wouldn't your family all get together anyway? If you were throwing one for practically the whole family, why just not throw a big summer cookout?
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 10, 2011