Can we agree on this

no matter what side you feel is correct

the fact that since Walker took office (only 2 months) this governorin this short time has polarized this state more than any other (possibly close to the most polarizing)

a government that is THAT polarized is not good for anyone. can the system work when this polarized = not did you get YOUR WAY, but does government work at its' best when there is no middle or as the poll calls it "has no opinion"

please no "my side is right" plenty of other posts for that

but question is...can system/government work at its' best when it is so black and white and no gray area? doesn't it work better when the two sides can sometimes get their way, sometimes not, but the sides can try to meet in a gray area, somewhere in the middle?

*i am not in this section often, so do not know if ANY topic we can all agree on*
not question of which side was right, but is it better for all when people are not so polarized

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you, and believe me when I tell you there isn't a topic we can all agree on!

Answer by older at 8:32 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• No we can't agree to that. There is still two sides to the story. Some think the right thing for Walker to do was to give in. That's not compromise. The Dems ran off like spoiled brats saying he would not even talk and when he did they refused to play. Walker did what he had to do for the state. No amount of saying it was union busting will change that fact. It is a financial decision. The people of that state pay these workers salaries and to keep finances in check the state needs to be able to keep them reasonable.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I agree with you completely. And bullying by the majority creates increased polarization, eventually destroying the ability to do the day-to-day work that a legislature is supposed to. After all, most bills aren't supposed to be polarizing, I'm right/you're wrong kind of things. Politicians are supposed to be expert negotiators, people who are willing to make compromises they can live with in order to try and achieve the things they really want for their constituents.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:30 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I agree. It takes skill to find a workable compromise, and I think that skill is much needed, but sorely lacking.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• You are right. Very good point! Extremes are not good for anyone. Even if your views are not moderate, you still have to have a spirit of compromise and a sense of moving forward. Otherwise too much time is wasted in the fighting, and nothing gets done.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• The country became polarized when Obama took office. Like it or not its been a my way or the highway approach which is what lead to people voting out Democrats in the last election. No one likes a one way approach to things in any relationship, and the Govt is supposed to have a relationship with the people they represent so they can do what the people want. The people in WI voted for change, and they got it. Just because some were louded, bussed in people to make it even louder doesnt mean much to me at all. How are you supposed to compromise anyway when people act like cry babies and go into hiding? I didnt see them going by the will of the people they supposedly represented by hiding either. Its a two way street.

Answer by gemgem at 9:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• When one side is wrong, compromise is wrong even if it makes things more tolerable.

There is no getting around the fact that the US is getting more polarized by the day, and it has been for decades. Now it's snowballing. We have one half that wants to get back to what is actually written in the constitution, and another half that wants to rewrite the whole thing. That constitution, the principals and intent behind it, are what made the US so great.

People have been changing it ever since it was signed. A very few things have been a greater good. Most have altered the original intent and have been wrong. No one has ever been forced to stay here, but some people seem to think that they can change it, retain the rights and freedoms they claim to love, and make it work. It won't. People have to be willing to uphold and fight for those rights by fulfilling their responsibilities.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Well of course it would be lovely if they could meet in the middle but rarely does it happen.  What their middle ground is still miles away what the others middle ground even when they try to you have both sides saying not good enough.  Which is where the my way or no way comes in.

The only thing I have seen most agree on is that a certain "church" is a bunch of whack jobs.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• we were polarized on Jan 20, 2009. Now the pendulum is swinging the other way. Get used to it.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:21 AM on Mar. 10, 2011