Food stamp cookout?

Okay, here's the thing.....My friend has invited us to a cookout. She lives with her parents rent free with the understanding that she will "help out" when she can with a few bucks here and there. She hasn't given them any money so far, and she's lived with them for about six months. Their oil, water, electricity has more than doubled since she moved in. Her parents are in their late 50's and both are working full time, but the house isn't paid off and they have vehicle paymenta and doctor bills due to her Dad's cancer a few years ago. My friend gets 450$ a month for her disabled daughter, and 600$ a month in child support from her ex ( for their three kids ). She pays no rent, no utilities, and has a paid off car. She pays for insurance for the car and her cell phone. She has also been getting food stamps for a few years. Every time we go there, she has name brand cookies, frozen diet meals, and more than enough of everything. Last year she had a huge birthday party for her son, and bought the birthday cake and a helium thing to have balloons with the food stamps. Now she has invited her brothers and sisters and friends to a cookout at her parents house (without tallking to them about it first ), and told us all not to bring anything because she was going to get it all with food stamps. There are more than 20 people coming, not counting the children, and I think there are at least 6 or 7 kids. Inappropriate anyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Entertainment

• very inappropriate another example of someone who doesnt need it abusing the system. and not to mention her parents
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Sounds like she is taking advantage of both her taxpayer-funded PA as well as her parents. Her parents should stop enabling her and force her to grow up.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:08 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Not your concern. If it bothers you then don't go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I'm more concerned over the way she treats her parents. They need to step up and make her be a productive member of society. I wish I had $1000 a month that I could throw around, but I can't because I have bills and kids. Someone needs to talk to her.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:52 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think that it is unfortunate in one of three ways: either she is taking food out of her children's mouths to do the party, she is not helping her parents enough, or she is getting way too much in food assistance. In my opinion, she needs to be working or at least helping more with the bills based on waht she receives.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• im anooyed by it all, he parents need to say heres the deal u need to pay x amount to us each week or month..or get out. she has the means to move out on her own. maybe then she would see how hard it is to pay rent bills and other costs and see she has nothing left. and hopefuly her food stamps are going for the kids to eat not just her diet and snakcs. shes the person we all cringe at who abuse the pa. and her parents. she needs to grow up and become an adult. wish her parents would tell her so. i know i would. i would make her pay rent and also 1/2 of all the bills. but i also agree if it bothers u say something or dont go.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think it's horrible that she would treat her parents that way. After they welcomed her into their home, she can't even bother to help with bills? And it's obvious that she can... As far as the foodstamps go.. those are to be used for her and the family she is caring for.. not the whole neighborhood. I think that she needs to realize that.. and quit abusing the system. There are people out there who probably need that money more than she does.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 3:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Very inappropriate. However, I have been dealing with people getting into my situations when they don't know everything involved so I wouldn't do or say anything because you may not know the whole story.
    jdzamko

Answer by jdzamko at 4:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• number 1 you cannot buy helium tank with fs. and you do not know really know the situation. it is not your business
    Anonymous

• It is a perfect example of someone who is abusing the system. Not only that, but that is a horrible way to treat your parents imo. Especially when they are doing her a favor by letting her live there.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2011