I think my 1 mo old has thrush... how can I be sure?

From what I've read the way you can tell it's thrush is when you try to wipe the "milk" off the baby's tongue & it gets raw & might even bleed!! how can I tell if it's thrush w/o hurting baby? Her dr. appt is tomorrow & I'm bringing it to their attention but I'm just curious? Are there any other symptoms that go with thrush like fever or anything?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does the baby act like he or she is in discomfort while feeding?
    sydash11

Answer by sydash11 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• if your baby is uncomfortable eating and if the tongue has white stuff on it that can't be rubbed off then it probably is and you should take lil one to the dr for some antibiotics..
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Well, she doesn't seem to be uncomfortable when eating... although we've had occasions where she'll eat vigorously and have a pained look on her face & she'll whine while eating then pull off & cry, but usually I've found that to be a gas bubble, because I pick her up & she'll almost always burp immediately. (Like a truck driver!!) I wonder if it's also because of thrush? I only ask because the white is on her tongue (and has been) all the time for the past week or 2. I noticed it and it made me think thrush because it had been a few hours and it was getting close to her next feeding when I noticed it was still there. If it were milk, it would have been gone by then, right?? She does not seem to be in pain when sucking a paci.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 9:09 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• He will be fine. The doctor will give antibotics. Smile momma, it will be ok.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Is it also on the inside of her cheeks? When my girls had thrush it was on their tongue and the inside of their cheeks.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I don't think it's on the inside of her cheeks so much... just her tongue. But it's there all the time. :\
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Are you nursing? If so, you're likely to get thrush as well. You'd notice discomfort on your nipples. Ask the pedi. They won't give antibiotics, but generally will rx an anti fungal. Many moms don't use the anti fungal rx, as it's said to contain sugar, and can sometimes make thrush worse. There is something called Gentian Violet that is often recommended for thrush, and works well, but stains purple.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My daughter had a mild case of thrush when she was about 2 months old, she had the white in her mouth that didn't seem to go away and though she was hungry didn't want to latch on and just cried at my breast. I started swabbing her mouth with a water baking soda mixture and my nipples with a water vinegar mixture after every feeding and I changed my nursing pads very frequently. I never got it and it went away in a couple of days. I'd try this method first before considering an anit-fungal which may make it worse or genetian violet, which is a carcinogenic. There are some other herbal remedies for thrush but I'd have to look them up, I don't remember off the top of my head.

Also avoid eating sugar as that is what the yeast feeds off of making the thrush worse.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 10:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Wow... thank you ladies. I did take her to the doc yesterday and yep... it's thrush, and yep... I have it too. My nips are pretty sore... (ouch!). He did prescribe a cream to swab inside her mouth 4x a day and I can use it on myself too... but really? That might make it worse? :( Oh no.... and no sugar for me will be a hard one but for my sweet little angel face, ANYTHING. Also, I'm Catholic and I should give up something for Lent anyway... ;D Thank you...
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 8:29 AM on Mar. 12, 2011