Speech therapy

does anyone know of some good websites for speech therapy and tips on teaching tongue placement. my dd is in speech therapy but shes actually comming home speaking worst then she did before and i have noticed she has a hard time knowing where to place her tongue esp with letter sound with r and l. i just emailed the teacher and asked what days she has speech and if i could sit in and for some activities for it at home. just waiting for a reply now. but any books or websites would be great. thanks mommas

laura970

Asked by laura970 at 9:00 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know one thing they did with my son was set him up in front of a mirror so he could watch where he was placing his tongue when saying certain sounds, and put it where it should be. I don't know of any websites or books though, sorry!

Answer by missanc at 9:16 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I'm not sure if these websites will have what you are looking for, but here's a couple that were recommended to me:

http://www.talkingchild.com/

http://www.speechtx.com/

You should definitlely sit in on some of your daughter's speech therapy sessions and discuss your concerns with her therapist. Her therapist can give you ideas for things you can do at home.  I can also tell you that my son does sometimes mess things up worse when he is trying to use things he's worked on at speech, but over time I am seeing he is getting things right a lot more often.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:00 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Also, Google "articulation" or "speech development".
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• thanks ill check out those websites. yes i plan on sitting in and talking to her. i try to correct her speech when i hear her say something wrong but words she used to say perfectly are now completely unrecognisable. so are so many time im constanly asking her to repeat cuz i cant make out what she is saying. if i knew the word she was saying i would be able to correct it. its just fustrating.
    laura970

Comment by laura970 (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I understand. I feel terrible when I have to ask my son to keep repeating something, and I feel even worse when I have to finally give up and just agree with whatever he said even though I have no clue what it was. I know it's frustrating for him too because he is trying really hard to communicate.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i had the same problem as a child with my R's and L's and i went to speech therapy in and out of school. There was something to do with italian ice we used to do im not exactly sure but i think that my teacher put some italian ice on a qtip and put it towards the back of my mouth and made me make the different sounds now im not sure if the italian ice was actually helping or just to make it fun to do sorry
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 3:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2011