Food stamps

I kinda just want to vent about something, I do not have a problem with anyone that is on food stamps because we use to get them also and i believe if you need the help then you should get them. but what bugs me is when i go shopping and see people with them that are buying the best of everything, $8 a pd lunch meat, all sorts of expensive meats. It really bugs me because we struggle just to keep the family fed and i feel like some people have no concept of what the food cost and will make you feel like crap because you can't feed your family that way. yes i have a person i know who actually does this. I guess when i am spending my earned money and people brag about what they are having for dinner and fro us its hamburger helper.
Go ahead and bash me for feeling this way i can take it. :)

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think you are right to be mad about people who buy expensive foods with their food stamps. i was on food stamps a lot and I would buy the cheap stuff so my stamps would go a long way. I just wish that people who are foods astamps would take a hard look at all of us who work and don't get to buy expensive foods. they should think what would happen to them once they are off food stamps.
    Msnow1969

Answer by Msnow1969 at 9:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Wow, you are a brave woman. I won't comment because I'm not brave like you. Good Luck and put on your extra thick skin today!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:03 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• can of worms

meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:05 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I understand how it can be frustrating but at the same time I have to admit that I have done the very thing that has upset you. Believe me I understand how much things cost and we did not shop like that before, we had hamburger helper ourselves, and we do not shop like that now. We were on it for a small transitional period and we found a place that had awesome fresh cut new york strip steaks and we bought it all the time. Mind you we never went out to eat, we never went to the movies or took a vacation or did anything for ourselves because we could not afford to. What we could afford was food so we went all out. We ate extremely healthy for the first times of our lives. We used fresh fruits and vegetables. It was the one good thing we had going for us. Even with the expensive steaks it was still more cost effective than going out and ordering it or anything else for that matter. Is this really that wrong?
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:09 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• DH was laid off a while back and I was due with our 3rd kid anytime. I couldn't work and he was finding no work. The lay off was not expected at all. We had food stamps for about 6 months. The first amount we got I went out and stocked up on meats, rice, beans, flour....ya know...the staples. Thanks to our little venture with food stamps I now cook healthier. I cook from scratch and make wiser choices. I used my FS experience for growing. We no longer drink pop in the house or sugary drinks. I refused to buy them while on FS. We decided to change our eating habits from our FS experience.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• popcorn

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:04 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• im with ya sista. chips and pop and cookies and ice cream no real food that can be stretched out nope we will just buy junk food.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:07 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I agree, there are alot of people who abuse the system and it's sad because there are also people that could use the help but they can't get the help they deserve.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I definitely know what you are feeling only because I used to be the cashier who had to ring up all the food and felt like I was busting my butt as a college student to be able to stand on my own feet and there were others who took advantage of the system...HOWEVER... after having had to need the assistance in the past, I know there were times my husband and I splurged on a steak or some crablegs just like we do now with our hard earned cash money from the check we bust our butts to make. I feel ya both ways because I have been in both places.
    MrsJStearns

Answer by MrsJStearns at 9:07 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I used to get FS when I was a single mom and I splurged so I could feed my kids healthier food since I wasnt able to give them much else. So yes I would maybe buy them lunachables for school so they didnt have to always buy free lunch and get made fun of. I also would buy them snacks to take to school when they had a party. I would also pitch in on neighborhood bbq's (buying the soda or whatever). During times like that if you were behind me you would probably judge me too. I would not have cared though because you would not have been in my situation that day. I also learned how to cook healthier meals when I was on food stamps which helped me now that we no longer get them. In the long run spending a little more on meat is better then not if you can feed your family healthy meals that create left overs.
    But hey, judge away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2011