Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can i do about my ex with my daughter who is Autistic

Hi my name is Maureen and I have a daughter who is 17 and will be graduating from high school next year. My ex husband has custody of her and her sister he has told me he has power of attorney over our 17 year old. I told him no he doesn't. I would like to know if he does or not. Also he told me she will never move out of the house or get a job, She wants to get a job right now but my ex husband won't let her. He rtold me she will nvere be able tio do anything but I know she can do a lot. She is high fuctioning Astistic. I need to know where I can turn to when my daughter graduates high school. I have seen people who have metal dissabilities get help from the Community Mental Health in the county where they live. They live on their own with the help of a case worker.

Answer Question

Asked by Msnow1969 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

Level 3 (17 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • It might be time to talk to a family law attorney. Good luck!!

    Answer by musicpisces at 9:04 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

  • There is no reason why she shouldn't have a job. By telling her that she can't, he is holding her back from her full potential and that is just terrible. Do you have an attorney you can call to find out this information? I'm surprised that your daughter doesn't have a case worker already... maybe your ex has this information? If she does, the case worker may be able to hook her up with a job coach (if she needs one) and employment opportunities.

    Answer by Namaste17 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

  • I'd definitely talk to an attorney. It sounds like your ex is sheltering your DD too much. If she is able and wants to do these things, then she needs to be able to do them!

    Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

  • It depends on her level of functioning. She should be able to get social security disability (which could be one of the reasons he wants her at home?). However, if she's high functioning it's possible she could get a job (although there would be a maximum she could earn and still get the disability income). You really need to talk with an attorney, or a case manager within the county as to what the options are for a special needs almost adult.
    Most likely if you and your ex disagree you will have to go to court and show proof that she is capable of more than he is allowing her to do.

    Answer by missanc at 9:09 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.