Are you as frustrated today with gas prices, as the people were in 1979?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lp2kGJASGY&feature=related

At 3:00 mark

Our oil problems today were solved 32 years ago

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 9:05 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Right laura..everytime the prices rise there are more drive offs and gas being stolen from cars.I have seen some pretty lengthy lines @ those gas stations selling gas for a bit less than those around it.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I remember the gas shortage and waiting in line with my mom. I dont think I am near as frustrated yet as I would have been in my moms shoes. She always talks about how she could only get gas on certain days depending on your tag number.
    This is what I remember seeing as a 7-8 yr old child. Imagine waiting in these lines with your kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OCqF1afNlM&feature=related

Answer by gemgem at 9:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I got my driver's license in 1979, and although I'm very frustrated with the price today, so far we haven't started the gas rationing that gemgem was talking about, and I promise you that was MUCH more frustrating than just dealing with the high prices. She's right, you could only by gas on odd numbered days if your license plate ended with an odd number, and even numbered days if your license plate ended with an even number. You had to keep your car fully gassed up because you might not be able to get gas the next day, and you had to wait in VERY long lines because people were trying to keep their gas tank full. Sometimes the lines for gas would spill into the street and block a lane of traffic.

Haven't seen any of that recently!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It was the shortages that really got people down. There doesn't seem to be any shortages now, just high prices.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:15 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• wow gemgem, that video was good until the song started playing.
    I'll give you a vote up for the video, and a WTH for the music. lol
    jewjewbee

Comment by jewjewbee (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I vaguely remember the lines. I think they problem was shortages then and now we have no shortages so hopefully at least there will be no lines. LOL Of course there won't be, no one will be able to afford gas to get in line for.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• well we wont be standing in line cuz the price will be so high be expect to see more drive offs and people punching tanks and siphioning. so lock your tanks.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• While i don't remember the 70's it doesn't seem like a rise in gas prices due to speculation is anything like what happened then.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2011