How would you tell a child they're mother died?

A very close friend of ours girlfriend died last night. They have 2 little girls together ages 5 and 7! He told them this morning but I just can't stop thinking, How would you tell your child that?

supermom_1969

Asked by supermom_1969 at 1:08 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• well my dad died when i was 5 and my mother sat down with me and my older sister and told us he had past away and was dead. she even took us to the funeral. all these years i have always been glad she did that. she always stayed honest with us even if it was such terrible news. and for that i hold a lot of respect for her. i hope if i die someone will tell my son like it is "your mother died, she is dead and will never be back" something along those lines. its part of life and should NOT be hidden from kids.
    Stroodle

Answer by Stroodle at 1:21 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I would simply explain that God needed her in heaven and that she couldn't be in both places that one day they will meet again when time is right.
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 1:24 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I would tell them their mother died. That we can't see her anymore because her soul left her body. I would expain to them that just as we speak to God though we don't see or hear him, we can do the same with mother anytime we wanted.
    callico

Answer by callico at 1:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Poor little angels. I feel for them. I will pray for them.
    bubbaelea22

Answer by bubbaelea22 at 1:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• no earthly idea. um...honestly i guess. i had to tell my gochildren thier mother might die, and that was hell. i can't even imagine.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:23 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• My nephews were 3 and 6 when my mom died. My brother sat them down and told them Nana went to heaven to be with the angels and we can't see her anymore but she's in our hearts now. Now my youngest nephew always talks to her and wants to send balloons to heaven for Nana.
    Kylinasmommy

Answer by Kylinasmommy at 7:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I'd just be honest. I'd tell my kids that Daddy died (or passed away) and we will only get to see him in photos and our minds. I know some people are religious & tell their kids that "Daddy has gone to be with Jesus now" but I think you should also use the word "dead" or "passed away" so that they don't think Dad (or whoever has died) is on some kind of vacation.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 16, 2008