How do you tell your children to clean their room?

This morning I go to get my boys up and walked into a disaster zone in their room. So, I told them, after school they are to clean their room! I also took all electronics away (iPod, dsI, computer, etc) till their room is clean. I didn't yell, I tried to do it in a manner that wouldn't upset my 7 year old so much. Especially before school.
Then I go downstairs, 7 year old comes down crying to my dh that I was being mean, this and that. Hubby agreed and took his side and now I'm angry at hubby for not standing up for me.
From this point on I feel like giving up! Damned if I do, damned if I don't!
How would you feel or react to this?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:09 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Mine are taught to clean thier rom by age 1 ( with help) and every morning my 8 yo clenas his room, then gets ready for school, and my 4 and 5 yo's clean tier room! I expect their rooms to be nearly perfect ad they accomplish that, they even help my 1YO to get hers done!CONSISTANCY!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• You need to discuss how this all went down with your hubs. You should have his support on this one.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I don't. They have to clean their room every week, then vacuum and dust it on Thursdays. I inspect Thurs evenings so the house is nice and clean for any friends to come over that weekend. They know it has to be clean, no questions.

Answer by missanc at 9:13 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I say "GO CLEAN YOUR ROOM" to my almost 11 year old. I've had the battles trust me.Oh I have had the battles over the room,LOL.

For my toddler..I just start singing the clean up song and ask her to help me..and she joyfully helps..sings along and picks up her toys and she is so super proud of herself. MAN..I wish that would last!!! haha

The baby...I just can't get him to clean up after himself no matter how hard I try hahaha :)

For you...I would say have a private talk with hubby..he needs to be on YOUR side..or your kids are going to learn to play the two of you against eachother. If he doesnt agree with it...say fine..then YOU deal with it your way and see how well it works. Let HIM be in charge of gettting the kids to clean thier room and you go kick your feet up with a good book and cup of coffee. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:24 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would be upset with DH, you did the right thing, your only taking it away until the room is cleaned, it sure will make the kids get it done alot faster.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I know that's what I'm lacking is consistency! At times, I'm just like hell, I'm not going in there! I guess I need to work on that. DH and I had a nice talk....he's back on my page! Thank God, cause I was about to run for it! LOL
    mamaada

Comment by mamaada (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2011