How far apart is too far?

My daughters are 6 years apart. To me i think thats too far in between because they both wont really have that same age sibling like i had, my older sister is 4 yrs older then me my younger sister is 2 yrs under me and my brother is 4 yrs under me, we all grew up together got into trouble together you know, well its not like i didnt try to have one sooner, well anyway how far apart are your children and do you think thats too far too close or just right?

nevsammomma

Asked by nevsammomma at 9:21 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• my kids are a year apart love it!
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 9:24 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My 1st 2 are 6 years apart too. And I agree, that's too far. My oldest is starting middle school this year and my 2nd is only starting Kindergarten. But I was a teen mom with my 1st, so I couldn't dare have another until I was older and finished school.

Now I have 2 more who are only 1 year apart and will be having another who will also be 1 year apart from my youngest. I believe having them close together like this is far better. I see them getting along better and I'm able to go though all the stages at once.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:24 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Mine are 13, 11, 9, 2 and 8 months. The older 3 are great, and the younger 2 are great, but it's hard finding things that interest all 5 of them. I would have preferred they were closer in age, but it's just the way things worked out. I have 4 siblings and all 5 of us were within 7 1/2 years of one another - THAT was fun growing up!

Answer by missanc at 9:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My kids are 21, 18, 17, 10(turns 11 on the 16th), and 6. Although the older 3 did play together, they dont get the same amount of attention the last two have gotten. My 17 yr old & 6 yr old act just like siblings should, they are close, they play believe it or not, argue, fight and do everything else my oldest 3 did together. My 17 & 10 yr old are the same way too. And of course my 10 yr old cannot go a day around his sister without calling her a cry baby or telling her to get away from his things. So I dont think it has anything to do with age difference based on my experiences. In fact my oldest being 21 (almost 22) with her two kids comes over and plays dress up with her 6 yr old sister. It all works out in the end really.

Answer by gemgem at 9:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I wanted to have mine closer together, but it didn't work out that way. My older daughter is 11 years older than my twins, and it actually turned out to be a great spacing for my family. I did feel a little sad for my older daughter not having a sibling close in age, but since having two the same age I have come to realize she received a lot of only child benefits that my twins will miss out on. I think there are pluses and minuses for any possible combinations of age gaps, and none stands out as being better than any other.  So, to answer your question, I don't think there is a certain number of years that is too far apart.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 9:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have a large gap. I have a 12, 3, 3 and 4 months old. My 12 year old loves that he was the only child for so many years and the twins are at the age that he can wrestle and play with them. They adore him and he adores them! And the twins can really help out with the baby (bring diapers, give her a pacifier.) I love the age range!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:49 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• it is hard trying to find something we all can do together, i LOVED the fact that me and my litlle sister were and still are best friends we even have some of the same friends, i dont know maybe it will work out for the best thank you all i was just having some doubts
    nevsammomma

Comment by nevsammomma (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• By the roll of the dice, our kids will be 5-6 years apart. It's just the way life is playing out for us. We had planned on them being closer, but life has other ideas. My brother and I are almost 6 years apart, and while we fought like crazy when we were little (as most siblings do), when I got to high school, we became really close, and have been ever since. He came to me with questions he couldn't ask our parents, and we talk very openly about very TMI things and about what's really going on (the painful emotional stuff). I wouldn't have it any other way. Plus, I remember my mom being pregnant, him being born, him being an infant, etc. I was helpful (I could change diapers and such), and I felt like he was "my" baby when he was little. I've always been fiercely protective of him.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I look at it this way. If my oldest and I are having a baby at the same time, I think that is too far apart. Now, I am expecting her to wait until she is 25 or so when she has any kids, so that would be too far apart.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2011