Do seeds of tomato cause kidney stones?

AnuMeha

Asked by AnuMeha at 9:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Health

• If you do pass stones drinking real lemonade, not the stuff you make from powder, it will help reduce the stones. People claim that to be an old wives tale but my urologist suggested it. I drink it, a glass day, and my xrays prove it has shrunk my stones. It is a double edged sword. The lemonade is rough on your teeth. Rinse your mouth or brush your teeth no sooner than 3o minutes after drinking it. You brush to soon and it pushes the acid from the lemonade into your teeth. You wait and it falls off. I don't get that part. I just nod when the dentist explains. Kind of funny the acid from it breaks down the stones and yet acidy foods and drinks can createstones.

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:45 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have chronic kidney stones and have not heard of this one.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• There are three kinds of stones. Acidic, calcium, and I can't remember the third. lol
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Very interesting, I've only had experience with the calcium ones.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:30 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I may be wrong but I think the acidic ones are related to arthritis. My brother gets kidney stones and saliva stones. They pass through his saliva glands. Scary and painful. He can take meds for his. He has Gout and his urologist says it is all related.

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Yeah, gout has to do with elevated uric acid so it would make sense that the acidic stones are related.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:32 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• He says the saliva stones are scarier than kidney stone because you feel like you can't breathe as they pass. Kidney stones are bad enough for me. I don't want the saliva stones too. I always pass stones while pregnant. Scary! My brother's meds have helped him. He hasn't passed one in years.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Greasy and sugary foods can cause stones. Tomato seeds are bothersome to the intestines - called diverticulitis. My brother has this condition, VERY painful.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001303/
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 9:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• never heard of this and didnt know there was 3 types
    tabcat816

Answer by tabcat816 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2011