If you're a believer in the God of the Bible, why do you think you can't see it this way?

Strange...a God who could make good children as easily as bad, yet preferred to make bad ones; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; mouths Golden Rules and forgiveness multiplied seventy times seven and invented Hell; who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man's acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him! ~Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:43 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I can't see it that way because if you believe in the God of the Bible you know that is not how it is.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:49 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I dont see it that way because I dont see God that way. Period.

Answer by gemgem at 9:47 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Mark Twain had a twisted view of God. God does not make anyone bad. God created Hell right along with freewill choice. Mans acts are mans responsibility (freewill choice). God forces no one to worship Him (there's that pesky freewill choice again). God has no morals and has committed every crime? Yep...twisted.

popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I don't see it that way. God makes us all the same. We are also given free will, and it's what we do with that free will that makes us "good" or "bad." God has nothing to do with that. God is absolute and total good. He can do no bad, no evil, no wrong. The enemy (satan) is absolute evil, and total bad. He can do no good, nothing. He is the enemy of God, and will do whatever he has to, and use whoever and whatever he has to to to bring us down. He knows once a person is saved, he can no longer have our souls, so he tries to steal the next best thing, our testimony. But, you are entitled to see it the way you want, just as I'm entitled to see it my way. I won't criticize you,and hopefully, you'll extend me the same courtesy. Have a good day.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• oh it is you again.

eye rolling

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I see God as full of Love for us. Yes there are things in Old Testament that show Gods anger but we as people were being punished because we were doing wrong. All those things were meant to teach us that this not the ay to live our lives. As for the forgiveness statement if God couldnt forgive why we He sacrifice his only Son for our sins if He didnt understand love and forgiveness.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• (that's a funny journal reference, op-you called it correctly, "smartass comments and nothing but insults''..funny, simply because it applies to the author BIG TIME, as well. she may hide behind labeling it as 'sarcasm', but everyone knows sarcasm is thinly veiled honesty.)

but to answer your question, you (in general) see what you want to see. if you want to seek negativity, you'll find it. i may be taken aback with things that happen in the world or in history, but i also choose (volition, anyone??) to see good and positive aspects, too. what i don't understand is if my God doesn't exist for you (and others), why question something He's done or hasn't done..kinda impossible. that's the Santa-correlation for me...i can't believe Santa rewards good kids and ignores bad kids if i don't believe in him. (Thank Goodness i have my own charge card!)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Why did God give us His detailed biography if it just makes Him look bad?
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I don't know why bad things happen or why there are bad people in the world, but I believe there is a reason for it. If the world were perfect we wouldn't have a reason to be born, that's what Heaven is. When I die it will be one of the first questions I ask God.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It is a matter of perspective, ihartu... when there is a lack of understanding of who God really is.
    I do not see God in the perspective Mark Twain sees him. Mark Twain was not a happy man and did not see through the glasses of positivity.
    God to the world is painted as evil but to the believers who have experienced His love and gained understanding of who He is see Him as a Father who loves His daughters and sons.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2011