Renewable marriage vows?

A friend commented the one day on this and I thought it was interesting and I thought I would share for feedback purposes. I am not trying to ruffle feathers or debate the sanctity of marriage, it is just something to think about that is all.

He suggested that marriages licenses should be renewable as well. You have to renew all other licenses so why not marriage licenses every 5 yrs? After 5 yrs and things aren't working out you can opt to part ways and not renew the contract. Granted I know it would not be that simple. But also knowing that life changes and people change it would definately change the institution of marriage as we know it. (Don't assume I am condoning this, it is simply something to think about). What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't think that is such a bad idea. It might keep some people on better behavior and have them take less for granted the idea that it will continue for the rest of their lives. You would simply have to take the words "until death do us part" out of the ceremony. Very interesting thought!
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• that is kind of what I thought and basically it would force couples to reassess their marriage every 5 years and to be honest it could actually prevent problems before they get out of hand because you either address them or part ways, but you will know why you parted ways and it is something to work on in the future.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It does offer an opt out clause and for some I am sure it will be taken advantage of but there are people who lie and cheat to their spouses now, this gives that person a way to break away from the unfaithful person as well.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2011