Anyone with kids close in age have tips?

I'm due May 18th with my second. It is a boy. My first is a girl and she will be 18 months old when this one is born. I'm starting to freak out a little because I know she will have no clue what is going on. I'm nervous she will be jealous and feel like she wants to take it out on the new baby. She is definitely a momma's girl because I breastfed her and do everything for her as my husband works alot of overtime. Just wondering if you have any tips for how to handle the stress with having two little ones at home. Thanks.

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids are not close in age but my tip would be but little gifts for her, wrap them, use them when the baby is born since she is a new big sister now. Also, involve her as much as you can, hold the bottle with mommy, get a diaper, now she's mommys big helper and tell her what a great job she will have, she can help just like she takes care of her baby dolls. But be sure to have boundries and try to have time for her when baby naps. Good luck!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Mine were just under 20 months apart. She might have jealousy, but she might not. For my son, the jealousy didn't really hit until DD was a little older (4 nmonths) and she was sick and needed a lot of attention. But eventually she got better and he got over it.

Someone once told me that it would be hard at first. But by the time they are toddlers they will be good friends and the oldest would soon forget a time when #2 did not exist. They are good friends now at 11 &13. DS would do anything in the defense of his little sister and pretty much the other way round as well. And they both join forces against their little brother when necessary.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My kids are about 23 months apart. It will be hard at first. It gets easier as they get older, I wouldn't change it now if I could. The part on them getting closer I am still waiting on they are 8, 10 and 12. I didn't have any real bad problems of jealousy and I breastfed also. Start cooking meals and freezing them if possible. Good luck!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My first 2 are 19 months apart and my youngest 2 are 18 months apart. There might be a little jealousy, but mostly there will be curiousness. Allow her to be curious. Allow her to hold her brother and help. Show her how to treat babies with her baby dolls. And start telling her you have a baby in your belly. Kids are smarter than what we give them credit for. She will figure things out, and you will be surprised that you can handle it.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:09 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• my girls are now ages 9,7and 6 so all three close together. They all did fine and loved being a big sister. Have them help with baby like diapers,etc. If can have special days out with just your oldest and that will help some. Show them how much you love them both. Have a shirt made that says I am a big sister now and she might surpirise you and love being a big sister and will teach him lots of stuff.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 11:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My first 2 are 15 months apart. We had no jealousy but I encouraged independence from the start so my oldest had no problem playing on her own and didn't need my constant attention at all. She was fascinated by her little brother. She helped me with him all the time. When it was time to change him it was her job to bring me the diaper and wipes and throw away the dirty diaper. She loved this responsibility. I bottle fed so she would sit next to me and help hold the bottle and would talk to him while he laid on the floor to play. Then 13 months after he was born we added #3 (oldest was just over 2 years old). They are now 10, 9 and 8 and best friends. I couldn't imagine doing it any different. Sure they fight a lot (always have) but they are very close and have all the same friends and do everything together (by choice).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2011