How bad of a parent do you think I am?

Apparently my dd said "Oh my god" at my SIL's and she told my daughter that she is not allowed to say that because it is a very bad to use God in that way. So dd of course came home and asked me and i told her what i think...some people think that its bad to say that... your Dad and I don't. You shouldn't say it at SIL'sor grandmas or school but, you will not get in trouble for saying at home...so then dd went over to SIL's again yesterday and told SIL what i said and SIL's called and yelled at me and told me that I am a terrible mother for allowing my daughter to speak that way at home. So what do you think?                                                     

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• oh my god. ha ha thats what i think
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• She shouldn't butt in, she should mind her own business, however, growing up we were never allowed to say it either, and I teach my son the same thing. We let him say "oh my gosh" or "oh my goodness" but never "oh my God". But it is your families choice what you will allow.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:09 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I know some people are offended by that, so I'm trying to get our son not to say it, either. He's 2, and we say it, so I'm trying very hard to watch myself. It's funny, because now DS corrects ME! LOL
    You're not a bad mom, we all have different opinions on all kinds of things!! =) It would be like saying you're a bad mom because I'm an attachment parent and you're not- it doesn't make you a bad mom, we just do things differently. It's not like she's walking around saying the F word without consequence.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Tell you SIL if she doesn't approve of your parenting she can hang out with someone elses kid.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I usually say gosh or goodness but God does come out sometimes. I don't think its that big of a deal though and I think your SIL overreacted.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think you were right in telling your daughter how you feel about it and you pretty much explained to her that she should respect other peoples feelings on certain things. She's your daughter, not SIL..SIL will need to get over it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• You are NOT a bad parent! It's not like you're telling your dd hurt someone. What you choose to allow in your home is your immediate family's business, not your SIL's. Oh my goodness might be a substitute if it becomes a huge problem.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I agree with Musicmom80 tell her to hang out with a different kid. And you parent how you parent. I tell my kids, there are things that are appropriate in our home and might not be in someone elses home and they need to obey others rules when they are in their homes.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Not a bad parent at all. But just wondering if you couldn't encourage your daughter to use some other phrase? Such as Oh goodness, or Oh my! This is a good chance to teach your daughter about respect. Not sure how old your dd is. Personally I don't care for "OMG" and I don't really care to adults use it let alone small child (under 10). I think with the vast number of words in the English language it might be fun to come up with something less offensive and maybe even funny.
    FebPenguins

Answer by FebPenguins at 10:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• OMG! Seriously?
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 10, 2011