Why is it that when someone believe in Jesus & YHWH they are considered "normal" yet when someone beleives in Mother Nature they are the "weirdo" in the room?

Honest opinions wanted here... It's for my blog.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think its a numbers thing....belief in Jesus comes in MANY different religions with millions upon millions of followers.

People who believe in mother nature are far less common. It is a lesser known religion.

Even people who dont believe in Jesus know a fair amount about him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• closed-minds??
    idk..i realize different people believe in different things...not my place to argue their beliefs. i know i get tired defending my own, when they try to argue or question mine. i shouldn't have to defend my beliefs..just my actions, if they are ill-mannered.
    ''its not nice to fool with Mother Nature!''...remember that commercial for ..butter? i think. (ah, you're quite a bit younger, you might not.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• If you're not Christian,then you're a savage,or terrorist,or a loony,didn't you know? (sarcasm)
    When I told my family I had strayed away from the doctrine of Christianity,my family asked me if I was now worshipping Satan. As if there couldn't be anything in between!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think you may be looking for people to do so. No offense. If you seek you will find. Just sayin.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• your advertising budget isn't as high as theirs..

its like a local burger place competing with McDonalds...its not that McD's is better, they're just more popular ;)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i find it the other way around
    at least on cm it is the other way around
    or non christians make a big deal out of nothing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It's part of the herd mentality that those that anything outside your group is strange and potentially dangerous. The same is often seen regarding race, generations, nationality, boys vs girls (especially kids!), opposing football fans, and any number of categories people fit into.

Since Christians tend to be the majority of people you'll encounter, you pick up on their criticism of other religions the most.

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Most people, whether they chose to believe it or not, are either black or white. Anything outside that area and they don't really have knowledge of it... if they don't have knowledge of the subject and are ignorant to it, so to speak, they are afraid... Being afraid usually equals intolerance. That, we all know, equals hate. It's the way of the world. I know you have issues with others and what you believe in. I live in an area of even greater intolerance.... I'm not from here, so it seems so strange to me to be filled with little knowledge of anything, yet still hold such an intolerance. It's very "country", (for lack of a better term), here. I feel sorry for them. How can you not want to learn new things in the world? How can you not find each and every different religion, race, tribe, etc. a wonderful thing?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think you may be looking for people to do so.

No, I don't think so. I have a friend who's children are being raised Pagan. They are normal kids (6 & 7 yrs) who attend normal school, have normal clothes, and play normal sports. But she's currently having problems with one of the moms in her daughters classroom. The class rule is if you invite one class mate (while at school) you have to invite them all. And last week her daughter was the ONLY CHILD in the class who didn't get a birthday party invite and she was hurt. When my friend called the birthday girls mom she was told they don't want their child being around "weird people." Now, there really is no difference here between kids, besides religion, which she doesn't preach or anything. And when my friend pushed the issue she was told if her kids ever want to go to church they are welcome, but they can't attend the birthday party til they do...

Seriously? They are 6!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My question would be, where are you where they are needing to know everyone's religion and discuss it? Are you at a church meeting, or PTA meeting, there's a big difference. I don't really address religion much at all in my everyday life, nor do I hear others. And I'm in Catholic and Lutheran country? I guess that's why I am wondering where the question is coming about.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2011