Activity boxes

I'm going to make my ds (21 months) some "activity boxes" for something special he can do at night time to quiet down before bed. I'm just going to get some small rubbermaid containers, and each night he can pick one activity to do with mom or dad. One will have crayons, coloring books, stickers, etc. in it. One will probably be playdough with play "tools" to cut it and shape it, etc. Any other ideas for me? I'm doing it more for when I'm at work (work 2nd shift ... and dh struggles getting him calmed down at night). But thought it'd be fun to start this new activity routine for fun:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You could do one for sorting. Different shapes or colors or something like that.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Puzzles, a memory game, some ABC flashcards and some number flash cards
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 10:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Stickers?
    FebPenguins

Answer by FebPenguins at 10:41 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Stringing Beads (large wooden ones), Puppets (hand or finger) work great when paired with a story or song like the Itsy Bitsy Spider etc, I like to make folders with pics, letters, numbers to match just glue one set of pic to the folder, laminate, add velcro, and laminate and velcro the back of the second set of pics. Have him match them. Great for recognition and hand eye coordination, plus they don't take up much space. They are also easy to adjust to his growing intelligence by changing to non-matcing pics of the same type, words, etc. They will last you for years that way!
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 12:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• All the above sounds great. The more they use their brain cells the more they will calm down and relax then sleep.
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• simple blocks for stacking and sorting, colored small things for sorting, graphing, and patterns, you can get cube blocks and write numbers, letters and shapes on them for activities, stamps/ink pads, texture boxes (feather, cloth, fabric, sandpaper, plastics, foam, etc.) to explore different textures and talk about them.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2011