My daughter is allergic to the fabric in her panties?

Took my daughter to the doctor for a horrible rash all over her butt and pee pee. Doctor told me that she could be allergic to the fabric in her panties. They are 100 percent cotton! The only way I can get rid of her rash is to put a diaper on her and put gold bond baby powder on her butt which of course is not encouraging her to go potty in the toilet. She has been potty trained for a year. I do not know what to do. Any suggestions?

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Pull ups make her break out also.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• has this ever happened to her before? it could not be the fabric but the laundry soap you used or if you used any bleach.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Can you try organic underpants? My son couldn't use pull ups from allergies either - you might have to order them on line but its worth a try??
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• wouldn't that cause her to break out anywhere else her skin was exposed to cotton??

perhaps its what you're cleaning her 'parts' with..new soap or wipes? or the detergent/bleach you wash those items in?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I thought the laundry soap too, but she isn't breaking out anywhere else on her body. I explained everything to the doc and she said it had to be the fabric. I will look into the organic underpants, I haven't tried those yet. That may be a good idea :)
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I don't know if they make children's undies out of any other material than cotton. I don't know what to advise here. Sorry I wish I had an answer.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Its very confusing, huh? Maybe she is just more sensitive in that area? I haven't changed soaps on her, wipes, or detergent. And he panties are colored so I don't use bleach on them. Trust me, I don't get it either.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I am allergic to latex, which is in spandex, which is in about EVERY thing including the stretchy of underwear. I'd try searching online for latex free things. what is her diet like any new foods? maybe that? Good Luck.
    FebPenguins

Answer by FebPenguins at 10:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Another thought i just had.. if it ok with you, let her run around w/o clothes for a day and see what happens.
    FebPenguins

Answer by FebPenguins at 10:39 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It's NOT the cotton underwear, it's either your laundry detergent, soap she washes with or wipes you are using. I tried a cheap laundry detergent once and broke out in a rash.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2011