Did you know that you can get certain types of bees to fly away from you?

You gently blow on them and they will fly away. It's true. I tried it and it works. It only works on honey bees and bumble bees though. Why does this work you ask? The answer is that they think our breath stinks. Amazing, isn't it?! It will not work on wasps and hornets. My uncle is a bee keeper, and he is the person that told me what to do the next time a bee come around. The next time you see a honey bee or bumble bee, don't freak just blow on them.

dustbunny

Asked by dustbunny at 10:33 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Home & Garden

• thats cool to know, i am so afraid of bees for some reason too.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I did not know this. Pretty neat. Thanks.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• That's really cool advice, but even if I remembered to do that, i'd still freak the h-e-double-hockey-sticks OUT!!!!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I'm severely allergic to bees, and so I am deathly afraid of them. But this is a great tip! Thanks! Too bad it doesn't work on hornets and wasps. *shiver*
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Wow, that's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:53 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Wow, thanks for sharing. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:16 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Thanks for the tip! Ever since my brother was pushed into a ground bees nest by his friend (I was about 4 at the time), I have had a phobia of bees and pretty much any other flying insect that can sting me, so this is good to know. I'm getting better around bees & things, so I may try this next time one buzzes by.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2011