Golden retrievers

anyone else have one? how old? we have a puppy and it seems like he wants to go outside every 5 mins! also he get so dirty that i end up geting him a bath about once a week. and how do i stop him from nipping. so far i tell him no bite and smack him on the nose and im trying to teach him easy for takeing treats with a soft mouth. but he still seems to nip at you espically when he gets excited. any tips? he is a great dog and the rest of training is going great but the nipping has to stop. he is starting to loose his baby teeth so im sure thats part of it. and yes he does have plenty of toys.

laura970

Asked by laura970 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Pets

• All that just seems like typical puppy behavior, and I don't know about popping his nose for biting. I'd just handle him very gently and whenever he starts to get too rough when you play, put him down and ignore him until he calms down.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• when my puppy bites, I genlty close her muzzle with my hand to help her focus and firmly tell her no. Then I try again to play, or pet her.

Goldens like to be outside, there's not much you can say for that. It's part of their breed. They love the great outdoors, and love water, mud and getting dirty.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have a dog whistle and it works great!!! Better then any of the above methods. It is only $4.00 at petco. Great training devices and the dogs know they hear that they stop and they do come on command. U need to be consistent with whatever method u choose.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• If you feel he is needing to go outside to often you might want to have the vet check his urine. Even puppies can get bladder infections. But puppies have small bladders and he may just need to go. They typically need to be let out 15 minutes after they eat, drink or play. He is a dog, they get dirty. I had a golden so I know that they do tend to catch things in their nog fur but if he is a young puppy that should not be a problem yet. You should't bathe him to often because that can cause skin problems. As far as the biting that is normal puppy behavior. When he put his mouth on you at all even when it does not hurt say "Ouch". He should back off but he will more then likely come back. You should notice that he is gentler. If you are consistant with this he will eventually learn not to put his mouth on you at all.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Those times when you are playing with him or he is just excited stop playing with him or giving him attention immediately. Do not talk to him,touch him or make eye contact. If he won't calm down you can use his crate (if he has one) as a time out but NEVER a punishment. If you need to put him the crate as you normally would give him 5 minutes or so to settle down and then let him out. When he ia nippy over treats do the same thing with the ouch. Keep the treat in a fisted hand and allow him to try to get it when you feel teeth say ouch and only give the treat when he back off from the hand. Most importantly STOP HITTING HIM. Smacking dogs does not teach them anything but to be hand shy.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I read your question and I had the same exact one last month about my Labrador. Same exact behavior...it's their nature. They really love to play rough and adore the outdoors. I knew all this when he was given to me but it's so hard to keep up sometimes. His mouthing issue is just the same as it ever was...they want attention and any way they can get it. They are much the same about going out and eating. My only advice from my ventures is to be patient, knowing that they will grow out of it but coming to the realization that you have one human loving puppy on your hands, literally. Tapping him never works since this instigates even more playful behavior. I tell him to lay down quite sternly now which does get his attention. Good Luck!
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• We had one, but she was hit by a car a year ago :( Broke my heart. She was such a good dog, and good with kids. She never nipped. Sorry I am not much help, I would keep smacking him on the nose, or trying grabbing her whole mouth (while shut) and get down by him and say no very sternly looking him in the eyes. Hope that helps and good luck! he might just grow out of it too since he's a puppy yet.
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Ask your vet. He/she knows exactly what to do. Don't hit him on the nose because that's a VERY delicate part of their body. My neighbor got chewed out by her vet for doing that. I didn't realize that (By hitting or yelling at your puppy you will only create a timid dog). of course that won't go for every dog but the vet told my neighbor that she should picture someone swatting her breast and that's how the puppy feels.
    Your vet should tell you better tips!
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• We had a golden retriever, Rocky. He loved being outside, playing in the mud, you name it, he liked it. He was 4 and never grew out of the puppy stage. When he nipped, we would tell him no, then smacked him on the nose with a rolled up paper. We wanted him to know our hands were for love. After about 2 weeks, he stopped nipping. we had to get rid of him unfortunately because he kept running away, and chewing through his collar so we were nervous about him getting hit
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Please don't hit your puppy or dog : '(
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 11, 2011