Do you think she crossed the line??

I have my pastor's wife on facebook, and she made a comment last night.

"Only about 40 people in church tonight for ASH WEDNESDAY. Seriously. I don't get it."

There were a couple comments agreeing with her, and a few that disagreed and were kinda upset. B/c they had things going that they honestly could not make it. And I'm with them, I live 20min from my church, and I don't have a vehicle. I didn't comment b/c I don't want to get in the middle of it. But to me it was kind of upsetting. They are judging people that are unable to make it to church. She also added this comment later

"Sure, the world doesn't stop, simliar to a sunday, but there were plenty of people who could have went! People these days just need to MAKE time for church and go. W...e choose to do too much and push God aside. I've got feelings for this issue. I pray my kids do not become too busy for church!"

Honestly-I think it's inappropriate for the pastors wife to talk like this on facebook. I somewhat agree that people can make more time for church, but you can't judge if you don't know the real reasons they are not there. For instance-me-no ride. What do you think?

Ambie0526

Asked by Ambie0526 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think its very inappropiate. she should have been more grateful for the people that did come by saying we has a wonderful service for ash wednesday and so happy to have an attendance of 40 people.
    as a pastors wife the people that have her on their facebook and see that could seriously think about changing churches for fear that they will be judged by her. dont be surprised if someone mentions it to her husband.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I personally don't think she did anything wrong. She is just giving her opinion on how she feels about this subject. I have to say I agree with her. I understand that there are special circumstances that cause people to not be able to go and I am sure she is not talking about those people. I think she is more talking about the people who have maybe just stayed home or who went to sports practice instead of church.

I think sometimes when people say things like this they are talking about people in general not necessarily any one specific.

Sorry and Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I don't see a problem with what she wrote. She wasn't calling out specific people for not going, she was just making a comment that the service was empty.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:46 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• She can post what she wants. It is her fb.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:05 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• yeah that's pretty inappropriate in my opinion... I'm sure that from the pastor's perspective it can be pretty disappointing when there isn't a good turn out because it takes a lot of work behind the scenes to get a service together. But she should vent those kind of things somewhere less public.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:47 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• She has as much right as ANYONE to air her frustration, was it tactful, no. I take those kind of statements with a grain of salt, if there was a REAL REASON I couldnt be there then I dont take it personally. She was talking about and too those that stayed home to watch American idol or couldnt be bothered to make Church a priority.

I don't think she crossed the line, but maybe made a bad choice.
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• No one can MAKE you feel any particular way. That's up to you. I do not think her post was inappropriate.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• There is a time and a place for everything. If I were a pastor's wife I would make sure that i kept a low profile and kept things in a more professional manner by staying out of such a contoversial subject. Church is not supposed to judge people, but yet that is what she is doing and is totally childish and so not appropriate. I find it very snooty and not the place to talk about church attendance. Say it a meeting or after a church outing but not on facebook. That is why I hardly go on that silly site.Too much crossing the line or trying to antagonize people into arguments.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Pastor's families are more often held to a higher standard than others (which is why we have the preacher's-kid syndrome). My dad is a pastor and I can tell you that the pastor's wife probably felt that her husband's hard work (those sermon's don't just throw themselves together) was being slighted and I'm sure that Ash Wednesday is a pretty important church day. Sure, you had a good reason not to go, but she also had a good point - a lot of people don't go to church because they would rather do something else (no judgement from me on that one, I'm the same way). Anyway, I would think that as the preacher's wife she should show more discretion than just a typical busy-body church lady so I can see the fault there, but I can also see her point in something that is very important to her is not so important to a lot of other people.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:04 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• If you dont like her comments delete her.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 10, 2011