Unfair auto mechanics!

It's HORRIBLE that most mechanics take advantage of people. What do you do to make sure that you aren't being cheated by your auto mechanic?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think that it is important to find one that more than one person recommends to you. It is also important that you know what they are doing and what you are paying for it before you allow them to do the work. Just because your car is at their garage and they have told you what you need done, does not mean you have to let them do the work. It is perfecftly reasonable to tell them that you need to think about it and you'll let them know. One time we had a mechanic insist that we couldn't drive our car off the property because our brakes were 'dangerous'....we were there for new tires. We had to threaten to call the police to get our car out, we knew there wasn't anything wrong with the brakes, we were just 'young' so this guy thought he could take advantage of us. We would never go to that place or recommend it to anyone.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• California has a Bureau of Automotive Repair that investigates complaints and keeps those kinds of records. See if your state has something similar.

The Auto Club can also help here, if you're a member.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I use my DH instead. lol But if I didn't have that option, I'd check out reviews from the Better Business Bureau, or go online and check to see if they have any reviews on yahoo or something.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Shop around for a cheaper price- and get a 2nd opinion if something seems off. Once we've found a mechanic we can trust we tend to stick with them.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2011