If you could hand out a scholarship to college what would your criteria be?

My group is going to award a scholarship to a local high school senior this year but we aren't sure what to ask on the application. We want the senior to have some volunteer experience since that is a huge part of our group. Other than that we are kinda lost. Any suggestions?

momof2cuteboys

Asked by momof2cuteboys at 11:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Go for good GPA, check into their attendance at highschool, these days you may want to request a drug/alcohol test. Just saying. Your group wouldn't want to hand out a scholarship to someone that is just going to flake out in college and party it up. =o) I would also suggest that the scholarship go to help a kid that is at a disadvantage financially. Not to say that rich kids don't deserve scholarships, but the lack of a scholarship is not going to prevent them from going to college. You know? Good luck and good job =o)
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 11:42 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Mine would be a bit different. I would require a certain GPA and I would want to help out a teen mother who is wanting to make a life for herself and her baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't necessarily go with a good GPA, but a scholarship for a student that has improved a lot. Also, financial need would be a BIG paret of that scholarship. You can't determine who will flake out and who won't. I know kids that graduated at the top of their hs class but flaked out in college. I also know kids at the bottom of their hs class that have multiple college degrees. Some kids just don't like or do well in high school but do amazing in college. I was one of those kids.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• We outlined the criteria for the scholarship in my parents' name - it is for an older non-traditional part time student. Someone that has probably had to post pone or restart their college education because life (usually the birth of children) got in the way. It has been the most appreciated scholarships and we always get letters from the recipients.

If you are wanting to help a HS Senior - look at someone in the middle of the pack, someone that is going to college but isn't getting all the academic scholarship offers. Look for someone that is active in church or Jr. Civitans, or another volunteer based civic group. You can even specify that they receive the scholarship money AFTER their 1st full year in college and pay it directly to the school where they attend rather than giving it to them (like pay it as a credit to the bookstore).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2011