How many words do a 23 months old is supposed to say?

My son say some words but not a lot. He say mama, dada, nena, audrey, abuela, caca, dos, one, titi and i can't think of any more. He understand completly when i tell him something.
How clear they are supposed to be?

sweetyazfl

Asked by sweetyazfl at 11:53 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just had my daughter at the dr, she will be 2 in may. The dr told me she should be saying about 50 words, and putting together 2 word sentences. My dd is nowhere close to that. She will say some words, and like your son, understands what I am telling her.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• 23 months : Names simple picture in a book. Uses 50 to 70 words

24 months: Names at least six body parts. Half of speech is understandable. Makes two- to three-word sentences.

Got it off of www.babycenter.com =o)
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 12:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• they say by 2 a child should be saying about 50 words and put together 2 word sentences, as the PP also said. however for my middle daughter, the words didn't come on time either. She is 27 months and saying a whole lot, but some of it is still unclear. She was evaluated though and they did not find anything wrong with her speech, but it put by mind at ease. Sometimes they just don't want to talk that much either.. LOL.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Here's a chart with what is expected at various ages:

http://www.talkingchild.com/chartvocab.aspx

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• WOW 50 word!!! My son is not evven close to that. He do know where are his legs, eyes, nose and mouth. WOW I'm in shock. So should i set a pedi appoinment?!
    sweetyazfl

Comment by sweetyazfl (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• does he point to things in book, or point to objects to get things he wants?
    does he shy away from touch or holding at times, does he perfer heavy touch and not like soft touching, or gets upset with accidental touch, touch he was not expecting?
    does he have tantrums more than other kids in his peer group
    does he have issues in stores, transitioning from one activity to another?
    does he stare at lights, fans, spinning objects?
    does he not play the "can you say..____"game, you say something he trys to repeat it?
    if no to these, he may just be a bit slower to catch on to words

speak to ped, get referral for eval, is he slow on speech,and if so why-older sibs, structure of mouth, other issue
    if slow on speech, is he slow on communication too

speech therapist can tell you what level in eval of your child

more to communication than number of words
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My niece at 2 knew he whole alphabet and could recognise all the letters and tell you what they where, she knew her numbers 1-10 as well and could also use 5-7 word sentences. Her mom of course was a stay at home mom and she only watched cartoons that where educational. I think every child develops different and it really matters how much you interact with your child and work with them :)

lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 12:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It depends on each child. My daughter is 18 mths & can say quite a bit including counting to 10 & her ABC's. Her fave song to sing right now is twinkle little star even though a lot of it is hard to understand lol.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 12:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• well since he is 23 months, maybe just wait til you take him in for his 24 month checkup. the pediatrician will definitely do a mini-eval at his checkup to determine where he stands developmentally. and believe it or not his vocab can increase from now til then, my daughter started talking overnight it seemed. you say he understands, which is good, there is a level of communication. he may just not want to say a whole lot yet.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My daughter was extremely verbal very early, both of my sons spoke much later. Neither of them have any speech problems now, nor did they have therapy. It came on its own around age 3.

I see that your son is being raised bi-lingual. Different rules also apply when a child is being raised to speak more than one language, it takes longer for them to become established. English is also a much harder language to learn, and speak fluently at a young age. His speech will come in time, as along as he understand what you are telling him you do not have anything to worry about! :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2011