What food brand do you feed your large dog?

Large dog, around lab/retriever/german shepard size.

We are getting one and I'm looking for suggestions that is healthy for the animal, but not so expensive that it's a break your bank kind of deal. (I love coupons and I seem to find dogfood coupons everywhere.) So, what do you feed your large(maybe medium now that i think about it?) dog, and how many times, and amounts?

2chinesetigers

Asked by 2chinesetigers at 12:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Pets

• Purina.....
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 12:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Oh and I have 2 dogs and have always just kept their food bowl full. They are both very healthy and not overweight. But they get lots of exercise also =o)
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 12:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• We have a coon dog/pit mix she is around 50-60 lbs Id say. We feed her pedigree hard food. You can usually get a large bag for under $15 if you look for specials you can get even better prices. We feed her what they say to feed her, twice a day, in order to prevent stomach twists (like me marley & me). If you only feed them once a day they tend to eat too quickly because they are very hungry and this can happen in bigger dogs. I usually give her 3 cups of hard food at a time & a snack mid day (dog cookies etc)

Answer by gemgem at 12:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Do NOT feed ANY dog Pedigree, Purina, Iams/Eukanuba, Hills/Science Diet, Ol'Roy, or any of the other brands sold at Walmart or the grocery store. They are all full of corn, wheat, soy, chemical preservatives, and other things that are not good for dogs! www.dogfoodadvisor.com
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 12:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• When I had a medium to large breed puppy, I fed her Blue Buffalo large breed puppy formula. The higher quality brands cost more up front, but you will feed less because they have better ingredients/nutrition so the bag of food will last longer. You can start off feeding what the bag recommends, but be sure to watch your puppy/dog's weight. If they aren't gaining enough weight, increase it a little and if it is gaining too fast you can cut back a little. The amounts on the bag are usually way too much anyway. Most of the companies would rather your dog be overweight and for you to have to buy more food than to be a proper weight and have to buy less.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 12:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Keep in mind that the cheaper foods are cheap for a reason. They are basically the equivalence of Twinkies. Purina,Iams/Eukanuba. hills/science diet are not as good as people have been led to believe. Totally agree with CollinBayleeMom. The site she named is also an excellant resourse when researching food.  

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I last had a large breed dog over ten years ago, but she loved the Moist & Meaty food.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• We have two lab mixes and feed them both Blue Buffalo adult. It's the only food that they can both eat without having diarrhea or vomiting. Yes, it's expensive, but because it is real food vs. cheap fillers, they eat a lot less than they did of the cheaper brands. They also produce a lot less solid waste for us to clean up & only poop once a day vs. several times a day like they did on the cheaper food. Even though I am feeding two 55 lb. dogs, I only need to buy one bag of dog food a month. When it gets warmer they'll eat a bit more because they're more active outside, but I still use less than two bags a month, probably about one & a quarter bag to one & a half.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have medium sized beagles,they eat Dog chow,and alpo and pedigree. My vet says that it is fine to give them that food. No danger to the dogs. I also give them pedigree dentastix,one a day for their teeth. Any more questions u can message me.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• We feed him ol roy. He's a large lab and looks happy to me. Vet says he's good.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2011