Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can someone give me some advice on this please...single mom here with dilemma?

I am a single parent to a 3 year old. I get no support from his father. He never even calls to check on him anymore. He lives out of state and has another family now. I am wanting to get my son's last name changed back to mine. I just feel like that since his identity has nothing to do with his father and he gets no support from him. Is anyone else in this situation or have gone through this change before? What should I do? I know that since his father is on the paternity affadavit, he has to approve or sign off on this change and I know he will not do that! I have heard that if you have no known address for the father (which I don't) then the lawyer can post an alert and it is considered a legal notice. If there is no response, then the father won't show up in court and you can plead the case. If it is seen in the best interest of the child it is more than likely approved.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • you have to post an ad in the paper of his last known address for 4-6 weeks.If he does not contact you in the time it is run then you can take it before a judge and plead your side.The judge at that time may or may not do it.However in my state if the child is 3 or under all's you have to do is go to vital records get an ammendment paper for the childs birth certificate and send it in with the change you want made and only 1 signature is needed

    Answer by misskitty98310 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

  • Does it have to be the state that the child was born in, or the state we live in?

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

  • I was in your situation before. I am still considered a single parent to the government, but I have a boyfriend now. But before all of that happened here is what I did to get my son's name changed. His father and I had gotten a divorce and I had him put on child support that way my son could get everything that he needed. After a while I stopped receiving the payments so I contacted him and couldn't get a hold of him, so I decided to take him to court. When he finally showed up after the second time, the judge told him that he could either pay me the amount that he owed me or he could sign his rights over. Once they sign their rights over you can get his last name changed.

    Answer by Dallas789 at 1:44 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

  • this happened to my friend. She has her bd on child support and he racked up a whole lot of iou's if u ask me his cs is in the 40ks and they went in front of the judge and they lawyers ask him we could knock 10k off if you sign for her to let her childs name be put to the mothers name (it was up to him) so I think it differs on each situation good luck

    Answer by MommaKee at 6:36 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.