Induction gel???

what is it?? what does it do??? how does it work???   The dr said i wasnt inducable and i was wondering why they wont concider using the gel?? just read alittle about it but didnt know to much about it. being 6 days away from due date my body hasnt done anything...nothing

Heather0583

Asked by Heather0583 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• There is one major brand used, which is EXPLICITLY SPOKEN AGAINST by the FDA and is not actually approved for laboring women. It has an extremely high risk of maternal hemorrhage, and fetal death.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I had it.  it was called cervidel, something like that.  It's inserted kinda like ... yeast infection medicine (sorry, couldn't think of a better way to describe it, lol).  It's supposed to get the cervix opened or thinned or whatever.  If it's you doctor who wants to use it, then ask he or she to explain.  I know why I had it, but everyone is different.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i didnt have a gel, i had a tampon-like thing that was inserted into the cervix and a string hung out. it stayed in for 12 hours and when i was checked i was already 4 cm dilated. it was then taken out and i was started on a low dose of pitocin. i got my epidural and had my daughter about 9 hours later. is your doctor recommending the gel? if so i would do extensive research on it before allowing them to use this method. bottomline is its your body and nobody can do anything to it without your consent.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• BTW, I was fine and my baby was fine.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I had the tampon type thing too but was told it had gel on it. It didnt work on me though. I was brought in the night before and had the stringy thing in me over night in hopes it would start labor or help thin my cervix. It did thin my cervix but not much. I was induced early because of GD and end up with straight pitocin, then water bag was broken and had my dd in 7 hours.

Answer by gemgem at 12:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• its actually used to thin the cervix but it made me dilate as well. thinking back, i think i was actually 2 cm dilated when they took it out, not 4. but it did it's ripening effect on me and i didn't have to have it in longer, so they went to pitocin after that and it took 2 hours to get to 4 cm dilated, then they broke the bag. sorry for being incorrect the first time, this was my first labor and my daughter is almost 5! i still don't think there was a gel involved though.. maybe. i think the dangerous one that's floating around now is actually "Cytotec" the link i provided explains about that too.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I also wanted to add that I was not dilated at all and had no contractions prior to the cervidel.  About 5 minutes after it was inserted, I had a painful one.  Not sure if it was related or not.  No  more painful contractions after that.  I asked to have it removed a few hours later though because the babys heartrate was decreasing every time I moved and that had not happened before the cervidel.  I decided not to go any further and requested a c-section.  Cord around his neck (which explained the decreased heartrate when I moved around, poor kid).

I'm not saying anything about my experience was due to the cervidel, just sayin'  :)  I actually wanted a c-section anyway and my OB knew that but suggested trying for a vaginal birth first and I agreed.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Prostaglandins help ripen the cervix, you can look up Cervidil.

Why do you think your body "needs" to be doing anything?

You body will do what it needs to when it
    's supposed to, this doesn't mean you need to be able to measure it.
    Avoiding getting your cervix checked might be the safest thing for you~

Best wishes!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2011