How in the world did our pets survive 40-50 yrs ago? I am 52 and when I was a kid they didn't

have all these high dollar pet foods and holistic foods. How did our dogs survive on store boughten feeds? I am really tired of people thinking you are a bad pet owner if you don't buy high priced feeds. Our pets where healthy and happy and full of energy. They didn't have all the problems pets  have these days. We fed table scraps too. OMG not junk just regular food. So why do they make dogs different now? hmmm I feed Purina and don't have problem telling people that. I am a member of the Purina puppy club and they sponsor dog shows and a lot of those dogs are raised on Purina and win many ribbons and trophies. If they weren't healthy how would they do that? Even at other dog shows they are winners. I even know who is going to make negative comments and can't wait to see them. Anyoneout there brave enough to admit they feed regular dog food and their dog isn't dying? lol

Dianakk

Asked by Dianakk at 12:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Pets

• idk but I guess I am a bad pet owner too. My mom breeds dogs & shows them and has for more then 20 yrs and her dogs eat nothing but Pedigree. We even have a joke about her dogs they are not supposed to live past 10-12 yrs old and she just cremated one who died of old age at 17 yrs old. She even (omg) fed them hot dogs!

Answer by gemgem at 12:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Because it is a billion dollar industry fueled by guilt. The pet food industry is huge and of course they will push their product.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• wow i am shocked ! your dogs actually are healthy! lol i dont think they are more healthy these days. i see all kinds of problems now that we didnt have back in the day. lol
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• oh My poodle died at 15 yrs old. she was as healthy as a pup. my step daughter stopped over when we weren't home and accidently left the pool deck gate opened and let the dog out. she left and didnt even check on poor Daisy. she drown in the pool. that was a horrible thing to find. my 10 yr old son jumped in the poor and was screaming when he saw her. he had been with her his whole life and was really heart broken. i kept her son Taz for 17yrs and he died of old age. he was always healthy. i fed store feeds. so much for the living longer and healthier reasoning.
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• They also did not know about many of the disease and medical conditions dogs can get either or how to treat them in many cases. People fed their dogs what was available to them. That does not mean it was actually good for the dog or the right diet. They survived on it.Dogs are also differant today then they were then because of us.Many back yard breeders and puppy mills have bred many of these conditions into the dogs so now it is our job as dog owners to provide them with what they need. I'm sorry but purina and many of those other brand just are not as healthy for them as people seem to think. Many have to many filler or poor quality ingrediants in general.My family was one of those that fed purina and who know what else when I was a kid and our animals survived on it but they also had issues due to the food.I had a golden that was allergic to her food which was Purina.She survived on it but she paid for it in other ways
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• until I put her on a holistic diet. Then she thrived.
    KyliesMom5

• Back then, the food was actually healthier! Then big businesses started to buy them out & the quality went down hill! Plus, most table scraps are actually healthy for dogs. It is probably the table scraps that fill the gap the big dog food brands are missing. Those brands are not species appropriate for dogs...dogs are carnivores NOT CORNivores...they thrive on meat...their bodies are made to digest meat. If the dogs seem so "healthy" on the low quality brands, just imagine how they would do on the better ones. And anyway how do you know they are so "healthy" if you've never tried something of better quality to compare to. I don't care how many dog shows Purina sponcers...that still doesn't make their food healthy!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 1:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• McDonalds sponcers the Olympics, but you wouldn't feed that to yourself or your family everyday 2-3 times/day, now would you?? You might be able to LIVE off of McDonalds, but you certainly wouldn't THRIVE on it. And sometimes in the future you would pay for it with your health!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 1:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Did I say I never tried high dollar brands?? no because I have! Bingo negative #1. told you i know who are the negative people! lol Also, i am saying my dogs where very healthy back then. no problems at all. it didnt have to do with what a vet knows now or then. these where active healthy pets. I'm refuse to argue, i know.......
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would love to be able to buy better food but the prices have changed so drastically these days. I'm always cutting corners but the dog always gets additional protein added to his food. Maybe, just maybe, if these so called more healthy dog foods out there would come down in say, a reasonable, affordable price, more of us would be spending money on them. Yes, for all the nay sayers out there...I love my dog but tough times call for tough measures.
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2011