What can you substitue for laundry soap?

I need to do laundry today and I used the last of the soap on my first load. My hubby has the car today and the store is WAY to far to walk and ideas???

MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Asked by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 12:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You can wash without soap as CraftingMama suggested. In all honesty when you wash in traditional detergents soap remains on the clothes, so that soap embeded can be enough to clean. If you have some baking soda you can add a half a cup of that as well.

But I also agree with mom2aspclboy. The homemade detergent is chemical free and so much better for the life of your clothes, your own skin, the environment and for your wallet. If you buy the initial ingredients and a bucket, you'll spend about $9 and that will make you 3 batches of detergent. And each batch lasts about 6 months!!!! So $3 for 6 months of laundry detergent that all natural is FANTASTIC!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Make your own. It's cheaper anyway. Here's a link to the recipe I use: http://diynatural.com/simple-easy-fast-effective-jabs-homemade-laundry-detergent/
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Do you have ammonia? I used a half cup of that the other day. You can also use dish liquid in a pinch

Answer by admckenzie at 12:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Borax is awesome. It shouldn't effect your skin. I use it to clean just about everything.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• As long as it isn't soiled, wash without soap and just add vinegar to the rinse.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Does this homemade detergent smell good? I know washing with a little dish soap would make them clean but I am a smell good type of person and I love when my laundry smells sooo good lol!
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Comment by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Oh ya...I went to the website it looks pretty cool and easy but is the borax going to harm my kids or my skin at all??
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Comment by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• u can use baking soda, pine sol , lemon juice
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 1:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2011