Disciplining a 17 month old?!?

I have a 17 month old DD and she's starting to bite, scratch, and hit my SO and I. We have talked about different kinds of discipline and what we should do...we have talked about time outs and because of her being so young how long would we time it for? 1 minute or less?

sarahmarie105

Asked by sarahmarie105 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time out for about a minute, not more than two minutes. I use the Super Nanny techniques, started it with my DD when she was just over a year for the exact reason of hitting a biting and it worked wonders and we still use it quite effectively and she is 2 now. It's a really great technique in my opinion.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• have you tried telling her sternly no to whatever actions she is doing? Tell her "no bite, no hit, no scratch". Tell her you hurt me and then pretend cry and see how that works. She is at an age where she would understand that. Sometimes you have to go to their level on certain situations.
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• When she bites, just take her hand, look her in the eye and say"No bite!" I wouldn't do time outs yet.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• yeah we've tried the whole fake cry and you hurt mommy type of the thing and we stearnly say no hit, bo nite, no scratch and she just looks at us and does it again.
    sarahmarie105

Comment by sarahmarie105 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I really think 17 months is old enough for time-out, you just have to keep it simple. I don't expect my child to sit there and ponder the error of her ways, but time out sends the message that when she does bad behavior she is not going to get to stay and have fun, instead she has to go sit at the end of the hallway for 2 minutes and miss all the fun. When her time is up I remind her that she had time out for hitting/biting/whatever, ask for an apology and give her a hug and then it's over. It's also good to familiarize them with the conseqence of a time out early, in hopes that when they are a bit older it will only take a warning or a look and they will understand that it's time to shape up or they will be going into time out. My daughter caught on very quickly to how time out works and as I said she was just over a year old when I started it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Time-outs are a very good discipline act...But if you start to have the problem where they are getting up and not responding to the time out...you have to put them back in time out and start the time over but dont stare at them you have to "ignore" them or they think it is a game...y DS was very good at playing this "game"
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 4:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My daughter is 17m also and she is very sassy! I smack her hands mostly and ive started counting to 3...its working pretty well she normally wont let me get to 3
    KsMama8609

Answer by KsMama8609 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i'm the bad momma. when my kid bit me i bit her back she did it a total of 2 times! i bit harder the second time so she got the point.
    mrs.trial

Answer by mrs.trial at 11:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011