Some people (vent)

Ok so my dd does alot of after school sports and during summer we did the football cheer thing (last from July-Nov). We had one girl who was sorta overweight & home schooled and her mom and dad (so we thought) werent bringing her to practice. This poor girl was brought to games and didnt know any routines & special routines you have to be at practice in order to do them. She ended up coming to maybe 4 games total. Straight after the girls went into basketball cheer & we just ended the program a couple weekends ago. This girl again was cheering but for a different team because we found out her guardians didnt like the coach we had or the girls on the team (wth?). Turns out grandma has custody of her and her brother and I only found out last week.

I am selling candy for dds school & I know alot moms dont do it, but I choose to because I like my dd winning prizes and competing for things, she also enjoys it. I dont do it for the school, but for my dd. My oldest dd works at McDonalds as a manager and asked me to bring her sister in to sell candy to her crew (mostly teens) & her boss who loves youngest dd. As I was selling and passing out candy to the crew a guy comes up behind me and asks if he too could buy and of course I said sure. He bought 2 candy bars & we thanked him. This woman asks "Oh candy! Id like to buy some who are you selling for?", before I could get my words out the man who bought said "Its for _______ elementary school". I figured he probably has a kid too selling. The woman says loud as can be "OH MY GOD ID NEVER BUY CANDY FROM HER THEN! THATS WHY MY GRANDKIDS ARE HOME SCHOOLED!". I turn pretty much in shock and who is with her? The girl who never showed to cheer lol. Thats her granddaughter.
My lovely 18 yr old son was with me and had a few choice words under his breath and told me dont worry about her mom! Ill sell candy later to my friends and by the looks of her and those kids they dont need candy anyway. I told him be quiet that isnt nice.

I left and the next day again this loud mouthed grandma was at the grocery store talking to random people about how horrible the school is (and mind you its a school of excellence and a great school, best in the area) & how our cheer coach was a bitch lol. I just looked at her again and she saw me. I rolled my eyes and went on my way. Of course dd has no idea about whats really going on and says hi to the little girl. At this point though would I be right in now allowing dd to be friends with the girl? I really dont want bad habits, rudeness, and blaming others (school, coaches) for problems rubbing off on her.

Asked by gemgem at 12:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have a friend who has a similar story, but her son was selling candy bars for the homeschool association. A woman gave him the money and then when she found out what he was selling them for, she yanked it back out of his hand and threw the candy bar at him (he was 8 at the time and completely devastated). There are nut jobs in every group of people, I would just be glad that that woman was not long doing anything with your daughter's team.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Yea scout I know thats true. It just really made me angry because my dd didnt do anything to her or her granddaughter.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• it sounds like the grandmother got hurt, and turned bitter. this is a perfect time to turn the other cheek. if your dd wants to be friends with her, i would not stand in the way.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2011