In Ga, they are debating getting rid of the free Pre-K program and/or the Hope College Scholarship. If you had to pick only one, which would you chose to keep? What do you feel is most important? 4 years old getting a great acedemic start or college students getting a break on tuition?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I would prefer to keep the college fund over the preschool. Kids used to start kindergarten at 5-6 years of age, and when they got there they were actually taught their alphabet, numbers, etc. They weren't expected to know it before they started, even though many did (I was reading long before kindergarten). But, the most important thing is that up until they were five, kids were allowed to BE kids. The ironic thing is that when schools were run locally, and children weren't pushed, our nation excelled in academics.

Once the federal gubmint stuck it's nose in, and the unions/NEA took over curriculum/made it more about a paycheck than teaching, the schools went downhill and so did our academics. There has to be a balance, and schools have to be focused on teaching ~ and sadly, we've lost that.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I can see why it would work in Metro Atlanta.
    Many more eyes watching what's going on, and less good ol boy networking and family coercion.
    We had the same problem in AL.
    GA is mostly rural, I would venture to guess the problem is bigger than even I would think.
    I have a friend who is a recent relocation to Upson County, and she was basically laughed at when she registered her daughter. They basically told her " We'll see you when she's ready for kindergarten"
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• http://www.examiner.com/education-headlines-in-national/options-for-fixing-hope?cid=parsely#parsely

http://www.gpb.org/news/2010/01/19/georgia-lottery-breaks-another-record

How can the lottery have record profits and the funding for these programs be low? Lottery money is being squandered on things it was never intended to pay for.

And students are purposely taking classes they know they can pass easily, to go to college for free. Instead of taking the classes they can intellectually handle. When they get to college, they can't survive and waste the scholarship money by dropping out.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would keep the college program - doing preschool at home is not that hard, but try teaching college at home!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:13 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Wow, what an ugly choice! I'm gonna have to go with early childhood education. I believe that is proven as a determining factor in later success in school. Gotta start at the beginning.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• How many students does the Hope College Fund help each year, and how much?

I think college is more important that pre-K so I'd be more inclined to keep the Hope Fund. But if it only helps a few students, and only in a limited way, I'd keep Pre-K.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 1:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I'm in GA. the hope scholarship has been raped and plundered by politicians and citizens who cheat. the preK programs are also being manipulated by locals when it is supposed to be fairly opened to the kids. It's not. We have a district here that was " first come first serve" and the day before registration, local officials locked themselves in the building and camped there the night before. Leaving regular people with no chance of getting free schooling. Get rid of both programs.

http://www.mysouthwestga.com/news/story.aspx?id=431729

Waiting all night does no good when the building is already FULL.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Id keep pre-k, hands down.

Answer by gemgem at 1:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Reform/Dramatically make cuts in $$ in both.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Well, bring from GA...i can tell you that if it weren't for that hope scholarship, many-many less people would apply for college. That hope scholarship is so important. Without it, i think many folks never would have even applied for scholarship. They call it the hope scholarship, because it gives hope to the low income families that wouldn't be able to pay for it without it.

I think pre-k is important, but i think going to college is more important than going to pre-k. They have done studies showing that kids who went to pre-k, don't end up any smarter than those who didn't.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2011