How do I deal with this? Sunday was my first day ever teaching Sunday school to the bigger kids.

Some of the women in the church told me that the retired teacher would take over and boss me around. I really really like her and don't want to hurt her, but she is telling me what to do and all of it is crafts. I talked to the director aka my step mom and she is so meek she wasn't any help. I did well my first class and the children where happy and said they are coming back. I am actually teaching them. The retired teacher came back and pulled out all kinds of crafts and it turned into a craft class. We didn't even have time to finish and I told the children to put their items on the table to finish next Sunday and she told them they could take them home. (wet paint and all) I wouldn't hurt her feelings for anything in the world, but who's the teacher? I am really frustrated. help meeeeeee. lol

Dianakk

Asked by Dianakk at 1:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• diannk, what about askng the teacher to come in and do a craft day once a mos? that way she will fill special and have a day that its ok for her to lead. she probably has been doing this so long she doesnt know how to do much else
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 1:47 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• If the other teacher is not the one designated for the class I would talk with the pastor and have him kindly ask her not to come back to your class.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Honestly, I would let her know that there are lessons that you need to teach the kids and she can do a craft with them AFTER the lesson is over. Then make sure there is some time left at the end of the class for her to do a craft.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• lol...it doesn't sound like she's retired at all! It would be easier to talk to her if she wasn't 87 years old with 60 years of teaching under her belt. lol I don't know how you could say anything without hurting her feelings. Good luck!
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Be loving, patient and kind. Wisdom of an 87 year old Sunday School Teacher is precious.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 1:38 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• lol everyone including him is scared to say anything to her because she is so kind and does more for the church than anyone. she is 87 so i guess we may have to let her be boss until she can't anymore. i would never hurt her feelings. i would quit before i would do that. maybe there is something else she could do but i dont know what. i can't even shop for the items i need she does it and i am so excited about doing this i would love to go shop for stuff even if i am with her. maybe i am just trying to hard. i don't know what to do, i don't know what to do, lol (master of disquise movie).
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• well, the church members don't want crafts first for sure. they really don't think crafts should be every sunday , just maybe once a month. no way would they let it be first. I was told to do the lesson and discuss it with the children and let them ask questions, etc. once they start on crafts they talk and don't listen. i don't mind a craft a week, but it was told to me by the elders that they would rather i do a class on wednesday nights and include the crafts then. i think that is a good idea if the parents are willing. i also think a couple of the girls won't come if it isn't a craft class and if i can get them their and teach them anything, then that's what i will do. this retired teacher has taught over 60 yrs and i realize she can't break the habit. it was her idea to have me take over. she can't walk very well and can't hear the students. I really really really don't need help. lol my class was organized until she
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• came in and dragged out a tote full of crafts and made us late for the preaching. then they all looked at me like i can't handle it on the first day. She is so sweet I quess it will just be disruption until she passes. I hope she doesn't but we all know she will someday and I want to remember her as happy, not feeling bad. i wish our church could find something else for her to do. she is the treasurer and plays the piano. the other church member's say she wants to run everything and no ones else gets what they want. I am new and like her . but i am seeing the bossy noisy side of her. she calls and gossips about everyone in the church. i just listen and say oh i like so and so. I wanted to go get stuff for an Easter bulletin board I was ask to decorate and she didnt want to go. She is supposed to give me the money and won't. she insist on going (which could be fun) but always has an excuse. it's raining! you can't shop then?
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Perhaps you can divide the children into two groups, and you and the other teacher can switch groups every two weeks.

When I taught religious school, I had to hand in lesson plans three times a year. Would the other teacher be wiling to plan lessons with you?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• well..it could be the other way around. you could reallyreallyreally need help in your class, and no one is willing. :)
    if a craft must be done, why not do it first, and perhaps organize the time better, so things are dry or 'finished' before class is over? i don't know the age of the kids, but in my experience, their attention span is very short. if you're trying to teach a lesson, you have to be fast and on-point. they start getting edgy after just 5mins! kids are usually eager to 'do' rather than be made to sit and listen.
    i bet if you thought about it, you could come up with a plan, and get both the lesson and the craft done. bless her heart, though..if she's still willing and wanting to help teach kids anything, and physically able, she might just end up teaching the teacher something, too!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2011