Starving my 2 year old.......

I feel like that is what I'm doing. =( He has the stomach flu and the doctor told me to only give him clear liquids for 2 days. I feel so bad. He keeps going over to the kitchen and asking food. =/ I have given him sugar free pop sickles and jello. Has anyone else been told this? It seems so crazy/sad to me. My poor little guy.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Go ahead and start him on bland foods in small amounts... if he's hungry it's a sign that he's doing better.
    Foods to start with... banana's, apple sauce, bread, toast, crackers, noodles, potatoes, cooked carrots, yogurt, rice

Continue to push low sugar fluids and avoid regular milk for another day or so.

If he throws up then back off and start the fluids again and let his tummy rest.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• stick to the "bratty" diet, bananas, rice, applesauce, tea, toast & yogurt. all of these are good for the flu and will keep him satisfied since he cant eat anything heavy right now. also continue with the popsicles, jello, clear liquids, etc...
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• give him some chicken noodle soup with crackers in it.
    Anonymous

• Give him some saltines or Ritz crackers. Some toast with jelly. Dry cereal. I go by the child. If he feels good enough to eat, let him. Just keep it mild.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i'd feed my child and chance having to clean up vomit....i agree with pp on the soup, something easy on the stomach
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• keeping your baby hydrated is most important. personally, if it is healthy, and they are hungry i will let them eat it.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• you can give him a piece of toast without butter. just make it plain.
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• usually it's called the "brat diet" and still contains certain solids like bananas, applesauce, plain toast, jello. I would at least add those into his diet as long as he can keep it down.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Give him some condensed chicken noodle soup, it isnt as heavy as other soups, also a good soup is the chicken soup it comes in a box and in the box it has a pouch, my g-ma used to add a little rice to it and it was sooo good and its really light on his stomach but he wont starve, and if he throws it up it wont be as hard on him, because like i said its a light soup
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 1:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• yes, you do have to starve the illness or it can get worse. anon is right though...thinks like chicken or potatoe soup are probably okay.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2011