My daughter refusing to go to school?? Need help

Scottsgirl43

Asked by Scottsgirl43 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• um...take her anyway?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• why dont she want to go ,
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Find out why then either address the problem or drag her to school. She's too young to decide she wants to be a drop out.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Find out why...perhaps she's being made fun of and bullied. And that should definately be addressed
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• What do you mean she is refusing? You are the parent! Put your foot down. Make her go and if she doesnt do anything make her suffer the consequences: taking away privlages because of her bad grades, detention, etc. Dont do her favors like taking her places or letting her go out, dont give her an allowance or pay for her phone, dont do the things that she likes for you to do. Going to school is her job right now and she needs to know that bad things happen when people dont do thier job.

If she wont get dressed in the morning, make her go in her pajamas. Just say "We are leaving at this time and whatever state you are in at that point in time is how you will go to school." Thats what my parents did and I only walked around all day in my pajamas with bedhead one time. After that I always got up and went! Have a bag with regular clothes ready to send with her if her school has rules against wearing pajamas during the day.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Make sure with the school that there isnt a reason she doesnt want to go. She may be being bullied or have a learning problem and she just doesnt want to tell you. Otherwise, there is no excuse for being lazy.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Okay then, make life at home difficult. Make her do work in return for living expenses...give her taste fro what life is like when you don't finish school... You find yourself struggling for survival. Know what I mean?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• There has to be a reason. Is she being bullied...by a teacher or a student? Does she have a learning disorder that hasn't yet been diagnosed or addressed? Does she have anxiety? Talk to her and find out what the problem is. Go from there. Have you considered homeschooling?
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Find out WHY she doesn't want to go to school!!!!! There is usually a reason why a child refuses to go to school. When my son refused, it was because he was SCARED because he was being bullied.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• You need to sit down with her and find out if she is being bullied!! If she won't talk to you is there another adult she would rather talk to. Also is the work overwhelming her. Could she be ADD/ADHD? My daughter was like that in 1st grade until we found her to be ADHD. She was overwhelmed with the work and wasn't prepared by her kindergarten teacher.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2011