Do you believe that love is required for a successful marriage?

I don't believe that love is a requirement for marriage, nor a requirement for a successful marriage. I feel that friendship, respect, honesty, and compatibly all rank higher than love for a marriage. Am I alone thinking like this?

isabellalecour

Asked by isabellalecour at 1:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• Romantic love is wayyyyyy overrated.There are far more important and tangible qualities to consider when choosing a spouse. I once had a boyfriend who felt that "love conquers all". Were we in love? Yes. Did it "conquer" the fact that we wanted different things out of life? No. Love in and of itself is a poor reason to marry.
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It sure does help.

I think if you must choose one only (mind or heart) you will be better off to enter into a marragie with your mind only than your heart only. 

BUT it is always best to enter in with BOTH your mind AND heart.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 1:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I believe that honesty and respect are all part of loving someone. They all go hand in hand.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 1:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Yes I think love is one of the things required in a successful marriage but I do agree with you about the friendship, respect and honesty. But if there isn't any love then why are you in the marriage?
    KaitlinC87

Answer by KaitlinC87 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I agree with you.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i think that if you aren't madly in love with the person then it's not a real marriage. with love comes friendship, respect, and honesty . remember the theme song to Married With Children "love and marriage, love and marriage go together like peas and carrots. i'm telling you my brother, you CAN'T have one without the other"
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i agree somewhat, butt love is what its about. Ithink u get married when u r deeply in love with someone and they r ur best friend. There r alot of aspects to a successful marriage, but a marriage isnt jst about being successful, its about being happy, being that one person they other can always depend on, and being in love and not wanting to be with anyone else
    arkelly2188

Answer by arkelly2188 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It depends on your definition of love. True love is agape (Godly) love. It transcends anything earthly imaginable.
    it also depends on your defintiion of "success". If that means no divorce then sure, it's possible. If it means emotionless relationship then yes, that is possible as well.

My defintion of a successful marriage is one in which both male and female strive to exhibit agape love to the best of their ability. Both must think of the other as they would think of themselfves for this to work.

I will be married 10 years this July. It is only by God's grace that this is possible!!
    Mommee42boyz

Answer by Mommee42boyz at 1:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Well, with DV, there is one sided love going on there. This is a very messy conversation here. Very complex. I have to second the question, if there is no love, why be in a marriage? I don't think love should be the ONLY reason to be married. But I think it is one of the reasons. The exact other reasons vary from couple to couple, and from person to person. For me, what's important is love, trust, friendship, respect, dependability, faithfulness, compatibility (including with sex), and I'm sure there are a few others. Not in this particular order.
    But, I just can't see how a marriage can be successful without love.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i agree with amberdawnbarr3.
    cecyh9

Answer by cecyh9 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2011