A question for the atheists/agnostics or those who practice "magic":

I have an honest question for you and I'm not trying to be a smart alec, I'm just truly curious -- If you can't believe in God because you can't see him, how do you believe in other "higher powers" or "powers" in crystals or other inanimate objects or spells or magic or witchcraft? If you can't see Joe Blow who lives across the world, does that mean he doesn't exist? You can't see the wind - does that mean it's a figment of your imagination? Does this affect your outlook on abortion and when a person becomes a person? If you can't see the egg being fertilized and actually see it turning into a person, does that mean it isn't a person until it's outside of your body and you can physically see it? If you can't see a baby chicken in an egg, does that mean it doesn't exist until it's hatched? I just don't get it. If you've never seen me in person, does that mean I don't exist?

bretsnag

Asked by bretsnag at 1:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• WOW!!! Deep questions!!! Kinda makes ya wonder though dosnt it?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:20 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• you can believe in god and be wiccian i have catholic friends that our both wiccian. Most people just like to be spirtual and most wiccians are more hypie like they like to plant things and do good things for mother earth. Most of the time you can feel things like God or higher beings or both
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• How do you believe in other "higher powers" or "powers" in crystals or other inanimate objects or spells or magic or witchcraft? As an atheist, I'm not into any of that stuff.

If you can't see Joe Blow who lives across the world, does that mean he doesn't exist? Joe Blow is a human. We know for a fact that humans are real. I don't have to see Joe Blow to know he exists. If I want to see if he exists, I can hop on a plane and go find him. I can talk to him and touch him. He wouldn't be a figment of my imagination. If you can physically bring God to me, while I'm alive, I just might become a believer.

You can't see the wind - does that mean it's a figment of your imagination? I have felt the wind. I have seen the effects of wind. I can pick up a science book and get facts about the wind. You can't even compare wind and God. One is backed up by scientific fact; the other is the subject of a fictional book.

lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 2:24 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Does this affect your outlook on abortion and when a person becomes a person? An embryo becomes a fetus around 10 weeks gestation. I would consider it a baby at that point. I am not pro abortion, but I am pro choice. I would only abort if my life was in danger or the baby had a defect or illness that would significantly reduce its quality of life. I am in no position to tell you what you can or can't do with your body.

If you've never seen me in person, does that mean I don't exist? I have more proof of your existence than Joe Blow's. The keys didn't type these questions out themselves.

I just don't get it. That's makes two of us. I don't understand how people can continue to follow a book of fiction when science disproves the stories. People don't come back from the dead. Burning bushes don't talk. The world was not poofed into existence in seven days. How do you explain the dinosaurs? Did they not exist? I never understood that one.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 2:27 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• some times you just can believe but
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• you won't find atheists casting spells. They don't believe in any god.

People who practice magick believe in a higher power - bit it a single god or multiple gods and goddesses. they call upon that/those powers to work the magick.

From your poorly thought out question, I can only assume that you must be evangelical christian.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• You can't see the wind - does that mean it's a figment of your imagination? I have felt the wind. I have seen the effects of wind.

Ah, but see, I can feel and see the effects of God on my life. I can see the effects of the lack of God's presence in other's lives. If I tell you I have a bad marriage but you can't see that I have a bad marriage and you can't see the effects of my bad marriage, and there are no books written that scientifically prove that I have a bad marraige, that doesn't mean I don't have a bad marriage.
    bretsnag

Answer by bretsnag at 8:10 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Hi. Just mentioning that I'm atheist/agnostic and don't believe in magic or any supernatural beings; I'm thinking few of us do.

When you say you see the effect of God on your life, it is really your *perception of what "God" is* that is affecting your life, not any proof. Conversely, the same goes for the "lack of God" in others' lives.

For example, through a lens like yours, you'd think I had God in my life as I am happy, nice, quiet, a good marriage (only one), make smart decisions, respectful, smart polite teens, homeschooler, modest dresser, basically non-swearing, non drinking/drugs, non smoking
    etc, etc...In other words, thre's nothing you can point to to say I must "need God".

Christians don't seem to like that since it messes with their "proofs", it seems.
    Jazzmim

Answer by Jazzmim at 8:37 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Jazzmim - good point - but your kind are few and far between. I commend you for living a "godly" life. Too bad you won't allow Him to have a part in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• you fundies are so funny
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2008