Should I see about getting a Mammogram?

I am 21 years old and back in 2006 ( I was 16 at that time) I had a large lump removed from each breast that turned out to be benign. They were in the same spot on each breast (symmetrical in location). When I was pregnant, I found a new lump (large) on my right breast. I pointed it out to my OB and she said it wasn't really anything to worry about because of my history. Well I was doing a self exam since I haven't done one in awhile and noticed that I think it has gotten a little larger. Then I noticed what felt like 2 smaller lumps on my left breast. They are much smaller in comparison and in a different area altogether...I don't know if I should see about getting a mammogram and who I should see (Primary Dr of OB-GYN) since I"m so young...maybe I"m just overreacting and should wait and watch them for a little longer. Thanks for any help!

landons.mama

Asked by landons.mama at 1:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Health

• Mammograms aren't the best diagnostic tool for a woman your age (your breast tissue is too dense). Ask about getting an ultrasound or MRI from your OBGYN instead.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• are you breastfeeding, or could it be a milk gland? there is another kind of technology that can be used...thermography. maybe look into that? try to stay on top of your self exams too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• No, not breastfeeding anymore...my son is 19 months now. I will definitely stay on top of my exams now..
    landons.mama

Comment by landons.mama (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• At your age, a mammogram isn't probably the best test. Look in to the Halo test http://www.neomatrix.com/ and see if you can find a doctor near you who does it.  It can detect abnormal cells even before a lump forms.  I've done it the last two years and although it's not all that pleasant to do, it's not that horrible, either.  Five minutes and it at least eases my mind.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2011