Do you live by the golden rule?

I always try to. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. My husband seems to only really respond to treat others the way they treat you. For example, if we are running late, I will start to rush around, and am quicker to yell at the kids. Once I yell, he will swear at me, and not help at all. On the other hand, if he is running late I am right there to help him, with the kids, with whatever it is he needs, and I ask him, what can I do to help? So today, he was running late and couldn't find his keys. I did not jump up to help him, so he cursed at me and demanded I help. An hour later he calls me and asks why I am mad. I am not mad, I am just doing to him, what he does to me. Then he says he never is like that with me, and is sorry if he is. WHY DOESN'T IT WORK WHEN I LIVE BY THE GOLDEN RULE WITH HIM? WHY DO I HAVE TO BE MEAN TO GET HIM TO SEE? Do you know people like this? What are we teaching our kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• my hubby is the same way. he is nice to them until they try to screw him over and that is the end of it. i try to live by it but sometimes people make it hard! lol
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• No one is perfect and I fail sometimes but I would say that ethics and integrity are very important to me and it was how I was raised. There are numerous situations where I forced myself to do the right thing because it was the right thing to do even when it was undeserved.

It is SOOO hard to live by the golden rule with my EX because he often times does really shitty things that make me want to retaliate. But I take the high road with the mindset that what goes around does eventually come around. I like that one day my daughter will be old enough to see any understand things and she will see that her mother practiced what she preached and that I was above it.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 1:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I try very hard to, but sometimes epic fail. When I fail it's usually related to protecting my family in some way. There are three things in my life you don't mess with if you don't want me pissed off at you: My friends, my family and my religion.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I try to but I am human and screw up often.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 2:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I do ... well at least try
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2011