C-sections out of convenience?

ive heard a lot on cafemom about people who actually "opt" to get cesareans for no medical reason at all. i have a hard time believing this, considering cesareans are a lot more risky for both mom & baby & require more "work" by the doctor. i find it hard to believe a doctor will go along with this also? ive heard of one in person of a girl who was just too scared to have a vaginal delivery and asked for a c-section. now i don't know her personally, she is a friend of a friend, so i can't say if it's true or not.

im not being judgmental, honestly. im just curious if those of you have had a cesarean for no medical reason? a "just because" cesarean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Health

• After having an emergency c-section, I just don't understand why someone would want to go through that voluntarily.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Believe it. Many want it, and many Doctors will do it if it's close to their due date or after.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Most women do just because they'll normally take the baby out at 38 weeks....
    Instead of waiting...some are impatient.

I ha a c-section, it was unplanned though.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i know this is not what you are asking but with my first i almost had a csection because the doctor wanted to go home and go to bed!
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• ive had two csections and neither were because i wanted them. it was a last resort when a healthy vaginal delivery was no longer an option, as all cesareans should be......
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• it is sad but true!
    i think there is a new push to reduce the number of elective c-sections though.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• After my last delivery I would opt for a c-section. I had back labor that lasted for days, not hours. I would not willingly go through that again.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It doesn't happen in Britain where my babies were born.  Doctors will not perform unnecessary medical procedures.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2011