How do I potty train my son with autism any suggestions?

alexsmommy0207

Asked by alexsmommy0207 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My friend Jean has a son with autism as well, her blog has a ton of resources... http://mommytotwoboys.blogspot.com

Hope that helps :)
    csmsand

Answer by csmsand at 1:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• patience , patience , patience , never give up , its a long road , my autistic son is 11 , and still has potty issues
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It just takes alot more patience and time. My son was 4 and still making mistakes when we potty trained him. It also depends on the level of autism. My son never seemed to care if he peed or pooped on himself when my other kids did. Just stay consistent and try and understand it may take alot longer with him then it would otherwise, but I always used the same techniques on all the kids regardless of disability.

Answer by gemgem at 1:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Take him as often as possible, when he goes praise him or reward him with what he really llikes.
    ...staysinvegas

Answer by ...staysinvegas at 1:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Immediate rewards are great for all kids, but especially for kids with Special needs. It really depends on what his particular issues are... for kids with a fear of going outside of the diaper, I have worked with a kid by cutting holes in his diaper in the appropriate place and letting him wear it while he adjusted to the feeling of sitting on the toilet. For a kid who was stimulated to go to the bathroom by nature we put together a plastic box of twigs, rocks, leaves, etc. that she played with while sitting on the toilet. There are also devices that you can buy to put in the potty that provide immediate stimulation like lights or music when they go potty. If you'd like to be more specific with your child's needs I'm sure I could offer you some better suggestions.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 1:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• If you can make it visual for him, you will have more chance of success. Can he tell you he needs to go? If not, you may need to implement PECS for him so he can let you know. Find what motivates him. For my son, it was honey buns. We had him peepee trained, but for the other every time he went he got a honey bun. More sugar than I would have liked for him to have - but it worked!

Answer by missanc at 1:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I'm not sure he knows when he has to go thats the hard part he is 4 and has no intrest in wearing underwear! has fit if we put them on him!
    alexsmommy0207

Comment by alexsmommy0207 (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My ds, 9, was 5 before he was potty trained. I had tried everything to get him to go (egg timer, rewards, taking away favorite videos!). When we saw his developmental pediatrician I asked him what could I do to get him to go. He told me nothing! So I backed off, cleaned up the messes and never said anything when they hppened. Within 6 months he was going (potty & BM). It came when he was ready, it was the best advice I ever got (for my son any way!)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• patience and consistency

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 15, 2011