my son is 3 and i am a firm beleaver in whopping on the butt. But it is like he dose not care i dont know if he is just hard head because it is in our blood or is it most 3 y.o. boys HE DRIVES ME NUTS L.OL.

chantez

Asked by chantez at 11:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Its his age, my sons doing similar stuff. Like counting with me grrrr
    Instead of freaking in front of him take a "time out" this way you take away his power, he knows what pushes your buttons
    Anonymous

• lol. I have so been there. My oldest has always been the same way, we have such a hard time disciplining him because of how stubborn he is. I am a firm believer in spanking as long as it is not to the point of beating them. I finally gave it up when he turned around and laughed at me and asked if that was all I had and was that it could he go play now. I now resort to his nose in the corner, and such just to get him away from the situation and give me a timeout to think calmly think things over before I talk to him. I have talked to him as I would an older person since he was about 2 even though I knew he did not really understand at that age. It works the best to this day. He and I will just talk things out so that he understands, but that is no quick fix by any stretch of the imagination
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• obviously spanking isn't effective so choose other methods of discipline .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• my son is the same way, so we have chosen a different method. Simply hitting is not doing anything and it's not productive, so we take away priveledges... it's much more effective and when he is good we reward by positive behavior and he's becoming a lot more receptive
    JennBear54

Answer by JennBear54 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• yeah i just put my son in time out now cause i used to spank his but and he just laughed at me so i put him in time out and tell him in a firm voice what he did almost trying to make him feel bad but not that bad and then stick him there without paying any attention to him and it really gets to him. when you spank they think oh well at least iam getting attention for doing something and the timeout thing really get them cause they dont get attention. good luck i know how you feel.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• time out would probably work best for him. He needs to know that punishment is going to happen even if the spanking doesnt work.
    Purplebutrfly99

Answer by Purplebutrfly99 at 2:35 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• As others are suggesting finding other means of discipline, I have to say this..... I have a now 11 yr old that was the same way (and she's a girl lol) I also have a 3 yr old that is also the same way..... Good luck on finding another method of discipline because I've learned (with my oldest at that age) No method works well when they are that hard headed.... Trust me I tried it all. I just had to learn to pick my battles a little more wisely.... My now 3 yr old daughter is more stubborn than my 11 yr old was at that time. So I really have to pick my battles.... It's hard when they are as hard headed and stubborn as you..... I know all too well. Good Luck , but also be happy you have a child that isn't afraid to stand his ground. It will pay off in the long run. My 11 yr old is very well behaved for the most part these days, but she isn't afraid to stand her ground when she feels it necessary.
    LdyWlf

Answer by LdyWlf at 7:59 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Well, looks like 'whooping butt' isn't working. Maybe try something new? that doesn't involve hitting your child? It might just make him behave even if it goes against your 'beliefs'. I have no behavioral problems with my children. No one complains about the, and they listen very well, even my little guy at a year old. No one hits them.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Okay sorry Pauline3283 but you are not perfect and neither are your children! If your way is soo much better don't you think that it would be more benificial to tell her what exactly you have done to create such a desired effect in your children, so that she may copy it?
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Okay, now this is what we do. I have a 6 year old and a four year old as well as a three month old baby...ALL BOYS! I feel ya! Everyone works for something, adults work for money and time off to relax, kids should get the same benifits and consequenses. When our boys listen and follow directions and participate without whining or griping they get a reward of their choosing. An extra book, 15 minutes to stay up longer or a treat (halloween candy, snacks that we made, whatever). When they don't listen or follow the rules, they get priviledges taken away.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2008