Dog and new baby?

My fiance has a chihuahua (dont ask lol) and for some reason he just does not want to do right. We have bought all sorts of sprays and things to house train him but he refuses to do right. When I first met his dog and he brought him to my apt, it peed in and crapped right in my floor. I didnt think too much of it because I once had a dog, I know they make mistakes. But now 2 years later we live together and the dog has ruined the carpet in our brand new house. Yellow spots are everywhere all through the house luckily we have hardwood downstairs or that'd carpet would be ruined to. Also its a long haired chihuahua so it sheds very badly and him being a guy he doesnt think much of cleaning up (lint roller) after him or giving him baths. I mop the floors faithfully every3 days and vacuum regularly but in the end I'm still expecting a baby soon and with this dog not being trained I dont want him around. I dont want him to get rid of him because truthfully I like the dog, but I dont appreciate it peeing in my bed, on the floors and craping on the floor almost every day. He normally would just wipes it up and the house had began to smell like dog pee. I went and bought a cleaner and cleaned the floor because I was tired of smelling it. Now we are in our new bedroom (his mom stayed with us and the dog was never in her room so the room is spotless) and he wants to bring the dog in this room which is also the room the babies crib is in. I try to tell him nicely but how can I really get it through to him that the dog needs to stay in its own room (as it has been lately) because he is unsanitary.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Pets

• that is why i can't stand chi's to hard to potty trained and at this point all you can do is start all over with the potty training although since he is an older dog he may never learn. i don't think there is anything you can say to get a man to understand that it's unsanitary and just think of your baby crawling on pee and poop carpet. yuk. i simply would ask him to get rid of the dog over my baby if the potty training didn't work. maybe you could just pull up all the carpet in your home. which is what we had to do! i had a chi for about one wk and it pooed and peed right in front of my daughters toy box. this dog has obviously not be potty trained.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would put him in a crate and crate train him. This should have been done when he was born, but it still might work. And despite what others say that it is inhuman, my vet advised me to crate train all of our dogs and it works like a charm!!!
    jesussaves58

Answer by jesussaves58 at 7:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I second the Crate training ... Make sure it is small enough that he would think twice about using it as a bathroom ... they usually wont sleep where they go... It works ... and no crates are not inhumane as long as you dont over use it and leave the dog in it all the time... I use mine when I leave. They see me get my shoes on and without a word go to their crate... My dogs also sleep in their crate with the door open... it is thier space...
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 7:18 PM on Mar. 12, 2011