If you have half brothers or sisters. do you just call them your brother or sister

or do you throw the Half part in when you talk about them. are any less close bc your half siblings.. or NO/ that doesnt matter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• I think it depends on the relationship you have with them. I would rather be considered your Sister its more meaningful.
    Mudda69

Answer by Mudda69 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would never refer to them as my halfies. Maybe, if you want to know my genealogy I might but I don't ever want to hear that from my kids who are technically halfies too.
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• good question for me to answer. I have an older half brother from my mom when she was a teenager she got pregnant with him and gave him up for an adoption. I did meet him once in my life and he was a jerk, But i still call him my brother. I also have a younger half brother that passed away at birth we were 6 years apart and i still call him my brother not my half brother. I have a half sister from my dad who was married before he met my mom. I talk to her and she is still my sister even though she is half and i don't see her as a half sibling. I talk to her just not very much.
    SO to ur question NO i don't see them as half and i say when i talk to about them oh my brother or oh my sister.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have 3 kids from my 1st marriage, and 2 kids with my husband. They are brothers and sisters, we don't use half at all. I have two brothers who are technically step brothers, but I've never called them that (we were 5, 7, and 9 when our parents married).

Answer by missanc at 2:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have 6 half siblings and consider them all my brother and sisters
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Technically my brother is only my half brother, but I never even think about that. His dad raised me as if I were his daughter, because my dad was never around. So I call him my brother and his dad is my dad. I am very close to my brother, so I think it would be disrespectful to refer to him as half a brother...
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 2:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I dont have any bro or sis - I have IN-laws. Ijust call them my sisters. Kinds thows others off for one - they know I am an only child and for two - my in laws are much younger than me and my husband. As for my husband. I do know that it really pissed him off when his 1/2 sisters would call him a 1/2 brother. This term really hurts feelings. Now that they are older - they dont do it anymore.
    laura67-boo

Answer by laura67-boo at 2:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have a 7 year old hafl brother and I call him my brother. I have a 14 year old steo-sister and most of the time I call her my sister but sometimes I'll throw in the step part. Just depends who I'm talknig to I guess. I consider both of them my siblings.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I call ALL of my siblings just brothers and sisters.
    I have two full sisters, and of course I just call them sisters... then I have one half brother who I just call my brother, as well as three step brothers and one step sister (two brothers from my step dad and the other two sibs from my stepmom) who I just call brothers and sister.
    My half brother was born when I was 13, I've known my step brother and sister since I was like... 9, and I've known my other two step brothers since I was 15. They've been around for ever.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have a sister and 3 brothers. Technically, they are a sister, a brother, and two half brothers. When I was little (6), I referred to my "half brother." My Dad got really mad and said "Why can't you just call him your brother?" I didn't know I was being offensive, I was just using the terminology I had been taught (by mom), and didn't realize that I was being put in the middle of yet ANOTHER argument until years later. Obviously that memory has stuck with me, so parents, take care of how you speak to and in front of your children.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2011