How do you get a job???...IF..

My husband was fired from his last job (he forgot to put his safety glasses on for about 2 min and they caught him...) and he's been looking for work ever since. Nobody will hire him...we've put HUNDREDS of applications in....time has passed, he only had a part time/temp job and it was AS NEEDED. We took it of course because we are absolutely drowning with no money. We have gone months and months with just the as needed work but as for stable work, even mcdonalds (he's even worked there before in HS), nobody will call him.
I really don't know what to do (obviously get a job myself, but I haven't had any luck either). What do you do when nobody will hire you? He doesn't have a criminal record or anything.
Any ideas? I feel like we've "whored" ourselves out for jobs....we post everywhere, we search everywhere, we apply everywhere. What else can we do?
He has two more years of college before he graduates with his BS in Nursing. I am worried, even with college behind him nobody will call him at that point either...ugh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'm sorry to hear this.
    Things will work out, keep your head up sweetie!

I'll pray for you all.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Have you gone to a temp agency? I did that for a bit. It didn't land me a full-time job but I ended up getting another job because I kept putting applications out. It's easier to get hired when you're working.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 2:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• McDonalds is having a national hiring day on April 19th. They literally hire anyone who fills out an application!!!! The economy is really hard. The woman next door to me is an RN and she got laid off a year ago! Good Luck with the nursing! They r laying off nurses all over!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I am sorry, that sucks really bad. I live in rural Kentucky so I feel ya. When you are putting apps in, are you just waiting for them to call you? Because if there are limited jobs in your area, you gotta WANT that job and let them know it. Call them, bug them even, let them know you NEED the job. I have found that this helps. Good luck and I wish you the best!
    punkypreggo

Answer by punkypreggo at 2:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• He needs to FOLLOWUP on all those applications. Wait a few days and call and check on the status of his application. Make sure his resume is uptodate and complete. WIth proper format, spelling, etc. Have him look at jobs in the medical field. Nursing homes, day centers for elderly. I would also find out if the previous employer is giving a bad reference because I highly doubt he isn't getting hired because he had his safety glasses off for 2 minutes. There may be more to that or his ex employers is giving a bad reference.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I know the feeling. I was laid-off because my accounting job with a MAJOR computer company was sent to Malaysia. Go figure. I'm almost 52 yrs old. Too close to retirement age (in employers eyes) to want to invest in me as a long-term employee. 30+ yrs of experience, so "we don't have an appropriate salary in the budget for your experience & skill level". Shouldn't it be up to me to decide if I am willing to take a lesser salary? Ppl have given me a hard time saying this can't be true. But, come be me for a while. Then, you can tell me what it's like to be me. There are TONS of ppl in my age group who are in this situation right now. Too old for employers to invest in & too young to retire. LIMBO SUCKS!!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• dancer, they are ALWAYS hiring nurses where we live....they just built a children's hospital as well. It just seems like employers are never going to shake the label of "fired". It totally sucks.
    Ty for that info, I'll let him know.

thanks punkypreggo.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• As someone who was previously in a hiring position my suggestions are these:
    -Call to follow-up once but no more than twice. Persistently calling a potential employer is going to show desperation and that is a huge turnoff for anyone in a hiring position.
    -Put in with a temp agency. Even if it doesn't land a full-time permanent position it will keep his skills honed and he has the opportunity to gain a few positive references to put write on applications.
    -If he doesn't already have a resume, get one! I cannot stress this enough. Regardless of the position he is applying for, he should always have an up to date resume to submit along with a completed application if one is required.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 3:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• -This is the Biggie! Never, Ever put the words "Fired" or "Quit" on an application under Reason for Leaving. Don't lie but it can be re-worded in a way that places less focus on who left whom at the end of the employment. Such as "Breach of Company Safety Policies”. It doesn’t say who it was that actually breached the policy. It may have been the company, it may have been him but they’d have to call to find out at which point he could explain the situation in more detail.
    -Lastly, PRACTICE, PRACTICE and PRACTICE the interview process. Research the most common interview questions online and have him practice the interview process with you so that he’s prepared and comfortable answering these same questions with a potential employer.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 3:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• If he is going to school to be a nurse is he a CNA yet? If he has that he should be able to get a job as a cna espically with the new hospital. Him going to nursing school is a bonus too because than they hope that he will just stay there when he becomes a nurse.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2011