How important do you feel this is?

To have a life outside your kids. To do things with friends or do you feel you are content doing things by your self like a spa day or getting your hair done. Do you have alot of friends now that you have become a parent, have you made new mommy friends.

lil_shannie

Asked by lil_shannie at 2:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Completely needed is how I feel about it.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It is very important. Parents don't stop being people once they become parents. I recently read that children ADD to the family, not take it over. A happy, healthy parent is a much better parent.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I used to have a hectic social life pre-motherhood, now I just don't and although it's been said I should be out and about with friends more, I would just find it another chore trying to juggle everything. When the kids are older maybe, but for now I'm more than happy not having to feel guilty if I haven't seen so-and-so for ages, or haven't rung etc.
    Twinminator

Answer by Twinminator at 2:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It's good to have a life, even if it is just a day away from the kids. You can't go out and party or stuff like that, but a night out with your friends is good.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think whether you are the parent or the child, everyone needs a break. We're all happier people and enjoy our time together more when we each have a little bit of time to be away and be ourselves. Sometimes the kids beg to go to grandma's house because they need a break from us. My husband and I take turns going out with our friends and staying home with the kids so that we each have our grown up time as well. When the kids are at grandma's we go out together. My priorities include time with my friends (which most of the time comes in the form of one dinner out a month) so that I can maintain my balance at being my own person as well as a happy parent.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 2:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I haven't had a lot of time away from my 3 yo but I love it when I can. Being alone or with others helps keep you sane.
    jdzamko

Answer by jdzamko at 4:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think that it is important, I make sure I make time to go to the gym alone and spend time with my friends when I can. I am still a person even though I am a mom and it is good for everyone when I am given time to remember and celebrate that.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2011