Does anyone else have this problem with their toddler?

I'll tell my DD not to do something...she'll do it anyways.
I'll tell her to pick up her shoes, and she tells me no.
WTF!
I'm tired of it.

Today, she had a pen. I tell her to sit in the floor with the notepad, not on the couch. The notepad must be on the floor at all times. She puts in on the couch. I tell her again...it goes on the floor or I'll take it away. She'll put it on the floor, 5 minutes later, it's back on the couch.
This goes one 4 or 5 times, and finally, I take it away. I'm not playing this game. I'm so tired of this shit.

I know she's two.
But, here lately, she's really been pushing my buttons.
I know people tell me to be calm, but, she is really, really, really pushing it with me.

She'll throw something on the floor, I'll tell her to pick it up...her reply "no". I've tried time out, doesn't work. Tried spanking, doesn't work. I've taken her over to where she's thrown whatever it is down. I either make sit there until she picks it up or she sits there.

I don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She's 2, that's what toddlers do, they push your limits. They are trying to see what they can get away with doing. Just keep being consistent with her or distract her with another activity.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My son is three and does the same thing. He will listen t my husband but not me, it relly stresses me out. I noticed you said it goes on for a few times, and i wuld do the same thing, threatining over and over again. I have recently stoped that and ithreaten once, then follow through with the threat. seems to help a little. He will usually cry and fuss after i take whatever it was away and i ignore him. That works much better than fightng back because kids that age love to fight back and puss buttons. It is very hard to keep your cool when dealing with this. Good luck, I hope this helps.
    Whitwilson

Answer by Whitwilson at 2:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Yup lots of fun isn't it? haha just stick to your guns and speak in a firm voice when you really mean it. : )
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• this sounds like a description of my daughter (she'll be 3 next month). this is exactly the shit she does day in and day out. i feel like all i do is yell ALLLLL DAY. i'm so tired of it and idk what to do either. just wait, i guess. she listens to my bf a lot better than she does me, which is lame because i'm so much more consistent and serious than he is. ughhhh... good luck.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• What you are dealing with is my daily routine. "No, I'm not going to. I don't want to. or just NO" I can't stand it and can't figure out how to stop it.
    jdzamko

Answer by jdzamko at 4:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Be consistent in your punishment! You tell her to put the notebook on the floor or it will be taken away... but you wait two or three more times before you actually do it... and she knows that.. so she's going to push your buttons to figure uot how far she can take it. I have a one year old who does the same thign.. but if i am consistent with him it seems to help him understand.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 4:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• That's what toddlers do; they test our limits. And I don't mean to sound like I don't get frustrated with it too, because I do. There have been times I've had enough and 'tag' my DH in if he's here or I take a break when he gets home. The more consistent I am with discipline the better though. I don't spank--don't really judge people who do, but just hope they don't do it when they're angry, but I use times outs, distraction, and removal of toys or privileges. Whatever methods you use, I think being consistent is the key. If I gave my son a time out because he wouldn't pick something up and he still wouldn't do it after the first time out, I'd give him another time out. It often works the first time, but the other day he had 3 back to back time outs before I he realized he might as do what I asked him to do. Now there are times that I 'choose my battles', but I generally try to be consistent with him so he knows the limits.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I feel the same way. I wish babies would go from turning one, to being 5 years old. cuz i hate all the toddler years. My 2 year old got okay at listening for a little bit, and now he has gotten sooo bad i am sooo frustrated! i tell him if you dont listen, you get spanked, he will smile right at me like he thinks its funny so he gets a pop on the diaper, and then he starts crying so loud just for sympathy and usually what i was telling him to do i have to do it cuz he's busy acting like a victim.. i have to jump up a hundred billion times a day to stop him from diong something, make him do something, break up fights with his cousin. i have lost 20 pounds because of it. but i'd rather be fat and have a child that actually listens
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• That's part of their age. Wait till she turns 3 - 2 will seem like a picnic. lmao.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:20 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• When you figure out what to do let me know cz my son will be 3 next month and he has the worst selective hearing EVER!!!!!!
    proudmommy42008

Answer by proudmommy42008 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2011