Should I have done it?

My 12 yo dd talked me into a facebook account. Her friend was over (same age) and told me who all has one that I would know. She said "oh everyone in our 6th grade class has one. Many of her friends have an account I found out. Well, come to find out 'that's not true' which I knew she was exagerating but I just feel kinda guilty as she isn't the proper age that facebook says they should be. Wonder if a parent could get in trouble for it?? Do your kids this age or younger have one and do you think it is a benifit to them socially?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would say monitor it lol
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't of done it. Kids that age have better things to do then sit on the computer to "chat" for hours. They can be playing, or even talking on the phone if they need to say hi, doing more productive things with their time. This is just my opinion.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Me personally I dont think I'm going to let my children onto social networking sites until they are at least 16, like sarasmommy777 said, kids have better things to do then to sit in front of the computer for hours....whatever happened to going outside???
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Monitor it but I don't think she should be on fb because there are people on there that show "things" that shouldn't. Example: my husbands step sister is 17 and has fb. If you do a search for her bf at the time a picture of a nude man came up. Just by doing a search these things happen.
    jdzamko

Answer by jdzamko at 4:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Theres plenty of kids that are under the age their suppose to be for a facebook account. Just monitor it if its bothering you until she can gain your trust. Once you see that shes doing okay with it, let her be and check in perdioditcally.
    KaylaMillar

Answer by KaylaMillar at 5:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would monitor it.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• All my nieces and nephews have a FB page, they range in age from 10-25. I'm not sure whether I agree with it or not.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2011